The Winning Post - www.winningpostwinkfield.com Reviews

• Quality of food

The Winning Post - www.winningpostwinkfield.com - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for The Winning Post - www.winningpostwinkfield.com

The Winning Post - www.winningpostwinkfield.com

“Extremely Noisy, Loutish Behaviours”

written by on 07/04/2013

My wife and I (both in our 50s) used to go to this restaurant often when it was called "Cottage Inn", but it is now under new management and called "The Winning Post", and from our experience last night it is now attracting a much younger clientele from a younger generation who are incredibly loud and rude. We made a last minute booking for 9pm, and they seated us next to a group of six, who were literally shouting at each other across their table, and made so much noise that my wife and I were unable to converse and enjoy a relaxing evening. The food was excellent, but the serving staff could see our discomfort at the noise, but did nothing to assist, and nothing to ask the boisterous table of youths to be a little quieter. Eventually my wife, who was closest to them, asked them if they would mind being a little quieter, and she was then treated to a tirade of abuse and rudeness and vulgarity that I have never before heard in my life, whilst the restaurant staff stood in shock and were agog, but still did nothing. We finished our meal early, paid the bill, and left. Not a word of apology from the restaurant manager, no discount, no offer of "come back another time". Pity. This place used to be excellent, but not any more, which is extremely disappointing.

“I have not been to The Cottage since it changed...”

written by PLD on 21/03/2011

I have not been to The Cottage since it changed ownership and was worried by the negative reviews. I was in a party of eight celebrating a friend's 60th birthday. We went for Sunday lunch and I found it much the same as it always was. The 3 couse £25 menu had plenty of choice and the food was delicious. The restaurant was busy and there was a good atmosphere. The service was friendly and professional. I would say do not be put off by the negative reviews - give it a go. We all had a lovely lunch and will be back

“My wife and I went to the Cottage Inn last week to...”

written by jg123 on 18/12/2010

My wife and I went to the Cottage Inn last week to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I picked the restaurant as a bit of a treat and hoped it would live up to the positive reviews and not the bad. It exceeded my expectations and we had a brilliant evening. The atmosphere in the restaurant was great and as soon as we arrived we were put at ease by the charming staff.

The menu by all accounts was recently introduced and we certainly had no complaints- my wife found it almost impossible to pick something. When the food arrived it was excellently presented- smelling and tasting fantastic. I can't recommend the shoulder of lamb more- so tender!

We cant wait to go back for a second visit. Well done Cottage Inn!

“Went to The Cottage Inn for the first time yesterday...”

written by tommyrogers on 02/11/2010

Went to The Cottage Inn for the first time yesterday evening and had a fantastic night. As it was only a Monday we didn't want to have whole bottle of wine so the ability to have a Bordeaux by the glass was great. Apparently they had just changed the menu and I could have chosen most dishes on there. I had the shoulder of lamb which had be slow cooked to perfection. All in all, slick service, well cooked comfort food and interesting wine.

“Had the Braised pork dish, At £17.00 I know that is...”

written by on 25/08/2010

Had the Braised pork dish, At £17.00 I know that is expensive for pork belly, But if done well it is by far the beat meal you could ever want, Not here, It came stuffed with black pudding, Old my god when i pulled it a part to see what the chef had done, I could'nt belive it, There was double the amount of black pudding to pork, Very poor indeed, There chips are digusting sliced jacket potato with the skin on and deep fried, That is bloody lazy

This is basic cooking done badly, I then went to the three legged cross just down the road(warfield). I had the best meal ever, The Ribeye which was soured locally from windors was divine, Toped with Wild mushrooms and caramalised baby onion, And possibly the best chips i have ever had in my life. The table next to me orderd The pork dish that was also £17.00 on the menu But this looked fantasic, Served with white and black pudding new season sprouting broccoli, How jealous was i. People go to the three legged cross it's amazing.

1 Star for the cottage and 5 for the three legged cross.

“I have been going to this pub/restaurant regularly for...”

written by on 11/06/2010

I have been going to this pub/restaurant regularly for many years. The food was always excellent, and the staff good humoured, and nothing was ever too much trouble. Sadly it has recently changed hands, and it would seem the new owners have no idea. The menu has doubled in size, and the food has dramatically gone down hill. Atmosphere has changed and many regulars are voting with their feet. You used to have to book Friday nights well in advance. You can now just walk in. It is such a shame as this used to be one of the best places to eat in the area. I have recommended it to many people. I will not be doing so any more.

“A lunch out to celebrate a friend's birthday. Two of...”

written by on 09/06/2010

A lunch out to celebrate a friend's birthday. Two of our party had dined here on previous occasions and rated the restaurant highly.
What a disappointment it was for all four of us. The service was lacking and the food was on the whole poor with only the Dover sole coming up trumps. Our dessert (in all cases rhubarb) fool was appalling. Layers of over-whipped cream and thin layers of rhubarb topped off with a kumquat had us all laughing as we scooped off the cream. Ordering coffee put the waitress in a quandry as we ordered one latte and asked for a caftiere for three only to be told the caftieres were large and for four! After suggesting perhaps she could make it for just three she tootled off looking perplexed.
Overall poor and slow service and overpriced food.

“The food is pretty tasty, poor hygeine though, oops”

written by on 09/12/2009

The food is pretty tasty, poor hygeine though, oops

“Cottage Inn is an excellent restaurant serving fresh,...”

written by on 18/09/2009

Cottage Inn is an excellent restaurant serving fresh, creative food of substantial proportions. I agree with Raoul, it is one of the best restaurants in the South East and I have never found the staff rude.

“The staff at Cottage Inn are knowledgeable about both...”

written by on 23/12/2008

The staff at Cottage Inn are knowledgeable about both the menu and the wine cellar. We've been here several times over the last 3 or 4 years either as a twosome or with group of friends and family. We've never experienced any of the problems that other reviewers say they have, but you do need a bit of a sense of humour to understand certain staff members.
A great restaurant, the best in the region and tucked away!!

“Good food but some staff were unfortunately rude. The...”

written by Viv Jenkins on 30/01/2008

Good food but some staff were unfortunately rude. The table was confirmed for 8 guests on the morning of the booking and even though 9 turned up, this should have not have posed a problem for any semi professional establishment. It might serve the restaurant well to remember that even if the food is mediocre the service and attitude of staff can more than make up for that fact. People pay good money to be treated well not ordered around, which is how I felt. We will not return to the Cottage Inn and will advise our contacts to also steer clear.

“Had to book months in advance for what dirty table...”

written by michael ousley on 09/12/2007

Had to book months in advance for what dirty table cloth, over priced food which we expected to be freshly cooked.
I believe in the saying "you get what you pay for", but not at the Cottage Inn.

“One of the best restaurants in the South of England.”

written by Raoul LeDuke on 07/03/2007

One of the best restaurants in the South of England.

“On arrival at the Cottage Inn restaurant in Winkfield...”

written by HMofcrowthorne on 04/02/2007

On arrival at the Cottage Inn restaurant in Winkfield Row, Berkshire, being shown to our table (by one of the friendlier waitress staff), the host demanded coats be removed there and then, refusing to allow customers to be shown to their seats first!!! The host pays lip service to the wishes of customers by placing notices on tables requesting diners not to smoke, but does nothing to uphold the wishes of the majority if his regular clients choose to smoke cigars while diners are eating.

Raoul Leduke's Response to HMofcrowthorne's Review

Written on: 07/03/2007

The host is one of the finest hosts in the land. The food is excellent and the ambience is friendly and welcoming.
<br/>
<br/>One of the best restaurants in the South of England and well worth a visit.
<br/>
<br/>It&#039;s not cheap, expect to pay around £50 per head, but it is worth it.

Read 1 Comment