Carrera Crossfire Reviews

Carrera Crossfire - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Carrera Crossfire

Carrera Crossfire

“Potentially deadly design fault.”

Written on: 22/05/2022

I have had this bike about three years. I use it daily for short trips and gentle cycling on roads. I have had to replace the rear wheel because the drive ceased to operate after a couple of years. While that is not great, the reason for this review is that a potentially deadly fault came to light. Fortunately I was on a quiet road and wearing a backpack which significantly broke my fall when the bolt in the clamp that secures the saddle to the stem broke without warning depositing me on my back in the road. I would never have dreamed that such a thing could happen, but now I look at it, it is obviously unsafe that one's life and health may depend on a single bolt. This is a serious design fault which needs addressing.

“pedal arm snapped off”

Written on: 29/08/2021 by postmalcolm58 (1 review written)

brought bike 3/12/2019 out on a ride today going up hill off saddle pedal arm snapped in half very dangerous and miles from home. Would never buy another.

“Outstanding value for money and brilliant brakes ”

Written on: 18/03/2020 by Dexterg66 (1 review written)

Having had a long break from Cycling I decided 12 months ago to get a bike, and old battered Carrera crossfire was found and I used it daily. I purchased a brand new crossfire 3 from Halfords recently and I am not disappointed. the bike is ideal for me and my daily route. the frame is nice and still the lock out forks are really useful and the hydraulic breaks (I am new to these) are a revelation. my only complaint is the stock tyres Kenda really don't perform in the soft mud very well at all but they are not really designed for it. I will probably upgrade them at some point with some cyclocross ones. So far really happy and cant believe you can get a bike like this for only £400

“easy gear changs”

Written on: 07/09/2019 by lizegreene (3 reviews written)

super bike| rides well quick gear change so hill climbing much easier Comfortable smooth ride love it i like the look of it good value for money tyres grip road well

“Superb look and feel”

Written on: 19/02/2019 by CarissaFanning1963 (1 review written)

Superb look and feel of Carrera Crossfire is like sporty and classic my dad use this daily for morning walk and morning cycling

“get out what you put in”

Written on: 17/10/2018 by ebikegum (1 review written)

Having been a cyclist from age 7 and now approaching my 71st year I finally said goodbye to my hand built road bike last year and resigned myself to long walks. Sadly the knees were shot and as I live on the edge of the Pennines the only way was up. I then watched Larry Lamb touring England on an electric bike at age 70 and thought why not me. As an entry level e-bike at a fraction of the cost of some of its more high profile competitors I cannot fault the Carrera Crossfire. True it is heavy, but so are most of the others I've looked at. It has a range of 60 miles and if you put the effort in and only use assistance when needed this distance is easily achievable. I have just done 56 miles around Barnsley and Penistone and still have 25% battery life left. Reports of battery cut outs I think are down to non cycling individuals who don't want to put the effort in and overheat the battery. The bike comes with plenty of kit. Kick stand, hydraulic disc brakes, Suspension, computer and a comfy saddle. What more could you want. Its definitely given me a new lease of life.

“Great Value Bike”

Written on: 09/07/2017 by semintimus (4 reviews written)

Like any bike has to be properly set up so not sure that some of the reviews relate to the quality of the bike or setting up. Bought mine nearly new and when you check out components against bike costing double the price - great buy. I use it on road and off road/bridle paths and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

“Riddled with faults”

Written on: 19/03/2017 by AshantiMaynard (1 review written)

We brought the Carrera Crossfire at the end of December from Halfords. It has been back five or six times with faults. The staff did not bother to do the pre-purchase checks on the bike and there were a multitude of problems that became apparent when my son started to ride it. Problems with the gears, the chain, the breaks and frame. On our last visit to Halfords, for a punctured tyre to be replaced, we were handed back the bike with the breaks not working, and the frame bent! We were told the bike was no longer rideable and we'd need to get a new one. It has only been ridden 12 times. Customer service at its worst, this is despite the warranty and 12 months care plan. I could not recommend this bike to anyone, nor Halfords as a place to buy your bike from.

Heymikey's Comment

Written on: 31/12/2018

I have had similar problems. Mine was the display would stay lit and saying it was delivering power but it wasn't. I too bought mine from Halfords but believe they have looked after me very well. The man there is making enquiries to buy to only final piece of hardware (which should be only about £20) but with the holidays in 2018/19 the world may not fully re-open until the first Monday after New Years. He will also ask if Carrera will trade my old bike for a brand new one. Ask.

“wheels poorly built”

Written on: 23/04/2015

my crossfire 1 spokes come lose after 45-50 miles on normal road use. Halfords tell me i need new wheels, it may be 2 years old but has not been used for 18 months, and i do 15 miles a week. i'ved never had this problem in 50 years of bike riding. i'm geting my old dawes ready for the road now.

“Cracking good bike ”

Written on: 09/04/2015 by Wexfordcyclist (1 review written)

I've purchased a Carrea crossfire only the other day I previously had a Carrea subway I find the crossfire is a little bit heavier that the subway but better built more robust. I live in a town that's full of hills and bad roads so find the gear change is very smooth and suspension is very responsive and certainly takes the vibrations of the toad away from your wrists to give a smooth cycle. Breaks are good very responsive once adjusted to my liking. In general so far a very good bike.

“Lifetime”

Written on: 17/02/2015 by Cruzxs309 (1 review written)

I am the second owner of a crossfire1, the first owner didnt use the bike too much. The bike reached its lifetime at 4000km - i've tracked all of my journeys, all of the bearings worned out in the last couple of houndred kms. I couldnt help for the rear wheel, i've needed to buy a new one.

“good bike but pedal is rubbish”

Written on: 09/01/2015 by 376McDougall (1 review written)

The cross fire 2 in my eyes is a good bike but I find my pedal keeps hitting the floor if in the low position an banking the same way I had to set the gears up wen that was done i was very impressed brakes are ok could be better and its a little heavy but I like the bike over all

“decent value for money”

Written on: 06/08/2014 by tigerssteve (1 review written)

Bought 2 crossfires 12 months ago as wife and I foolishly committed to a charity cycle from London to Paris. We did several thousand miles training and completed the ride without issues. Were they the best bikes on the trip? Of course not. Were they the cheapest on the trip? Definitely. Other members of the group had punctures, broken spokes, broken chains, gear failures etc etc, but we pootled along trouble free. All those things are in the lap of the Gods of course but that's the way it was. The standard rear derailleur fitted isn't brilliant- cheap plastic mostly. After falling off in the wrong direction both bikes needed replacements but the much better upgrades were only £20 each. All things considered it is a decent machine. If you really think you are going to get the bug and do huge mileage and hill work especially, then perhaps think again but for the casual cyclist/ commute it's fine.

“Not as expected”

Written on: 03/08/2012 by DailyCyclist (1 review written)

The Carrera Crossfire 3 (2012) first seemed a really good bike well built at a good price, however, the build quality has left a lot to be desired. I bought this bike for my daily commute to/from work on a daily basis, which consists of 50% flat gravel cycle track, 45% cycle path and 5% road. Firstly the wheels are of a very poor quality, I am not an overly heavy guy (6'3" and 15 1/2 st) but I had to break very hard when a kid walked out in front of me causing the bike to go up onto the front wheel where it collapsed leaving me in a heap on the ground. The rear wheel has also buckled due to a broken spoke!!! The brakes are very ineffective especially on loose surfaces. I initially liked these tyres as they were wide and had plenty of grip on the sides for loose surfaces, however the tread has worn down extremely quickly and the grip on the sides does not help cornering on gravel. I have also found 2 spots on the frame where the paint has started to bubble. So after 3 months I will have replaced front and rear wheels, tyres and brake pads.

Gtavalanche1.0's Response to DailyCyclist's Review

Written on: 26/04/2013

1) you expect to corner well on loose gravel... Are you mentally challenged?

2) you expect to brake well on loose gravel... Were you born a bell end?

3) Tread is affected by weight, usage, and tire pressure so id suggest maintaining Air Pressure in the tires to a reasonable 60-65 PSI depending on your style of riding and weight.

4) i think you would be better suited to a trike :)

Rupertrogue's Response to DailyCyclist's Review

Written on: 18/06/2013

Ironically I think you'd be better off with a Crossfire 1! With respect, you are quite a bit heavier than most bikes really cater for, and it seems to me that the Crossfire 3 is designed to save weight, possibly at the expense of ultimate strength

Take. for example, the wheels which are different and lighter than those fitted to Crossfire 1 & 2. I have both a Crossfire 1 and 2 'in the family'. Caliper brakes will be affected by any imperfection in the wheel rim, but when all is well they are more effective than the discs: this should be obvious, since discs have to overcome the inertia of the spinning wheel around them (think of an old fashioned kiddies spinning top). When they do work well they put strain on the wheel structure and its that effect that caused your wheel to collapse.

I think one star is a distinctly harsh, given these are really quite cheap for relatively sophisticated alloy framed bikes.. A daily commute involving a long stint on a gravel track will test any bike over time and you really need a machine that puts robustness above all other considerations. I have no complaints about by two Crossfires- except for a twisted chain on one of them which nobody can explain.

Shashankrrathi's reply to Rupertrogue's Comment

Written on: 24/11/2019

Hi

I'm getting Cross Fire 1 for £224 in black Friday sale. Will you still recommend it in 2019?

I need it for commute which is just a mile of cobbled path and tarmac road.

Thanks
SR

Read 3 Comments

“carerra commuting capers”

Written on: 03/05/2012

Got my crossfire 1000 about 7 years ago. while the frame is reasonably light I have found on my daily 8 mile return commute a number of difficulties over the years. Bear in mind there have been good length s of time where the bike has not been used a lot. Good points ; it rides well, is reasonably sturdy and access via all the quick release bolts to wheels and stem is good. Suspension has packed in over the years and while the forks have proved sturdy the suspension has never impressed me. Gears are twistgrip- these were poor and vague. Numerous service appointments did nothing to improve them. I am now on flick switch type gear shift which is better. Gears do go out of synch with very regular monotony. Brakes are adequate only. Crank bearings have worn out once.Both wheel bearings done once. I have had 4 wheels on the bike due to pot hole encounters.Rear cog and chain needed replacement once, tyres are next to useless in town get the puncture resistant and save the agg. I find it was a little undergeared on down hills so if you need to be travelling at a pace consider a different ratio rear cog.It has lasted well in all weathers frame wise and still looks really well. I paid close on £300 for mine and looking back in those days I think it was dear. Best bit? sturdy on the whole in all weathers reliable. Worst? those gear shifters- never really had a decent gear change regardless of tinkerings in all the years I had it.

“The Carrera Crossfire is quite a good bike for the...”

Written on: 31/05/2010

The Carrera Crossfire is quite a good bike for the price, although some of the components could do with being upgraded, i have the 05 version (bought at the end of the "season") so i got it at a lower price, i don't think i'd pay £300+ for it. Quite lightweight compared to what i've ridden in the past, good chain and pedals, they seems to be the first thing to go for me. The tires aren't great, they don't puncture too easily but they are a bug_ger to get off when they do puncture, i'd look to getting kevlar ones if i were you. I've been using mine for 4 years and it's served me very well except the headstock(i think that's it's name, the bit where the handlebars are fixed to the stem). The grip inside the headstock wore so it could no longer hold the handlebars to the stem, so the bars just down and no amount of tightening would fix it. This was particularly worrying whilst ridding on the inner city part of Manchester A6 (a dual carriageway) during morning traffic, luckily i taught my self how to ride with no hands when i was a kid, this came in very useful! I had to get some rubber and wrap the bars in it where they meet the stem and the inside of the stock so it would grip again.

This bike won't really go off road, i did a little on it and i've hit a few potholes and buckled the wheels slightly, not that strong wheels really, but what do you expect for the price?

I've done roughly 1500 miles on it and it's survived so not a bad bike. Anyway, it's a good bike to get fit on and commute on the road, i think i'd upgrade to a tourer though if you're commuting though and can spare a bit more cash.

Dave6779's Comment

Written on: 31/05/2010

I found this review very helpful because...
<br/>He/She went into a lot of detail, giving personal stories and recommendations of improvements and honest balanced comments on the bike.

Read 1 Comment

“I will start by saying that this is a good bike for...”

Written on: 27/10/2009

I will start by saying that this is a good bike for the price you will pay for it and is a good "re-introduction" to cycling if you have been out of the saddle for a while. It's certainly a vast improvement on the bottom of the range £100 bracket Halfords bikes. The riding position is comfortable thanks to adjustable stem. The mega-range gears have an extra-high top cog to help you up hills when you run out of puff. Would recommend for short, occasional commutes, rides out on cycletracks, tow paths etc.

It's no offroader and if you use it a lot or on longer rides, you will find that it begins to feel cumbersome, heavy and sluggish to ride (and you get awfully sore from vibration through the rigid frame) - it is no lightweight and the rims are cheap and heavy leading to slow acceleration and a tiring ride if you are stop/start commuting. As you get fit, the megarange gear becomes surplus to requirements (and downright annoying when you slip into it by mistake) and it lacks speed at the bottom end of the gear range. The tyres are cheap, easy to puncture and hard to remove and replace.

After 6 months at 10-12 miles every day commuting I had to replace the stem (it creaked and the locking piece was plastic which gave too much flex), the brake blocks (the supplied ones bite too much and were scoring the rim), had demolished the cheap plastic headset and the fork interior had worn out and needed replaced (with a rigid one, as the supplied one offers no merits and a replacement would cost the good part of the bike cost).

By the time I had replaced the saddle, tyres and pedals, added mudguards and a pannier rack and the necessary survival kit of saddleback, frame pump and bottle cage I had almost double what I had payed for the bike.

If you want an every day commuting hack and intend to keep it up, spend a few hundred pounds more and you won't regret it. For other, more leisurely purposes, this is a good buy.

“i have bought this Carrera Crossfire in halfords...”

Written on: 07/03/2009 by joconnor59 (1 review written)

i have bought this Carrera Crossfire in halfords IRELAND i have found this bike excellent easy to ride easy gear change ideal for town or city commute or leisure trips i got 2 panniers put on rear with luggage handy to carry stuff,,,,its top drawer of a bike !!!! i did have to pay extra for mud-guards...i have had loads of makes of bikes over the years and this is up there with the best...for the money its great value i highly recomend it 100 % john IRELAND

“Suspension on the Carrera Crossfire is fantastic and...”

Written on: 24/02/2009

Suspension on the Carrera Crossfire is fantastic and the frame is extremely light. I commute and this is the perfect vehicle from home to train and train to work. Ergonomically designed grips and highly responsive breaks. Only bad point is seat isn't that comfortable and there does not appear to be anywhere to attach a kick-stand. A great product for the price. I would certainly buy Carrera again.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 13/06/2011

you can get side stands they fit on the angle near the rear wheel.I got one from James cycles at Chesterfield cost £14.65 good luck

Read 1 Comment

“Highly recommend this bike for a good all round...”

Written on: 27/06/2008

Highly recommend this bike for a good all round introductory bike that does not cost a fortune.