AA Breakdown Cover Reviews

Media Gallery for AA Breakdown Cover

AA Breakdown Cover
AA Breakdown Cover

“Terrible”

Written on: 16/08/2022 by Rbutler2222 (1 review written)

Awful so far. We broke down at 5:30pm on Saturday, 15 minutes from our rural gite on the way to get food after an eight hour journey. It took 30 minutes for our breakdown call to be answered and we were immediately told that in France nothing is fixed at the breakdown (should have read the policy more carefully) - all they could offer was for the car to be towed to storage to wait until Tuesday when it would be taken to a garage and get us a taxi back to the gite. When we mentioned a hire car we were told that the policy made it clear that it was only if one was available and nothing would be until after the bank holiday weekend (should have read the policy more carefully). When we said could they book us a taxi for after we had managed to get some shopping (as we had no food in and were in the middle of nowehere) they said it would be faster for us to sort that ourselves (was that in the policy???) and they'd reimburse us once we got back to England. So we had to sort ourselves out. Sunday, another 30 minute wait to book a taxi for Monday to get more food. Tuesday - an 80 minute wait to bd told the car wouldn't be looked at till Friday and, as if said in our policy documents, a hire car wasn't guarunteed. Again, the woman said it would be quicker to sort it ourselves. "So what exactly are we paying the AA for then, if we have to do everything ourselves?" She laughed - obviously thought I was joking. I'm not. Three days in France. No car and still no sign of having any transport in the near future. If you're considering AA European Breakdown cover, my advice would be to READ THE SMALL PRINT VERY CAREFULLY and then GO WITH SOMEONE ELSE!!!

The Aa's Response to Rbutler2222's Review

Written on: 17/08/2022

Hi there, we've replied to your review on Trustpilot.

Read 1 Comment

“Terrible people working ”

Written on: 14/08/2022 by 284Hutchison (1 review written)

My car had broke down on the A1 and we called AA. We had a person called Ellis and he was absolutely horrible. He tried charging higher prices. Started at £300 for the part then £600. Also he tried charging £350 which was soo bad due to the fact I had all my kids with me and my WIFE. We are a brown family and he was trying to over price us because of that. The weather was really hot and my kid has asthma and I have high blood pressure. He sat in his car and was on the phone, he was having a laugh with the 'company' and did not help at all. We told him to take us to a service nearby and he did not take us. His license plate is LA1988E. EVERYONE AVOID HIM AT ALL COST.

Written on: 16/08/2022

Hi there, we're sorry to hear this and hope you're okay. We've responded to your Trustpilot review so we can look into this.

Read 1 Comment

“Worst company anyone had made ”

Written on: 14/08/2022 by HK.Mech12 (1 review written)

We broke down on the a1 just after Peterborough and they kept switching the times and when he arrived he charged us for the part and also recovery the part and I got a quote from another garage and the quote was 450 compared to there 600... He also sat in his car and was laughing at us and gave no help at all... His name is Ellis and his license plate is LA19AAE

The Aa's Response to HK.Mech12's Review

Written on: 16/08/2022

Hi there, we're sorry to hear this and would like to look into it. Please send a copy of this review, your full name, car reg, address and postcode in an email to us.

Read 1 Comment

“Agree to the random add-ons they suggest when you try...”

Written on: 02/08/2022 by arnabR (1 review written)

Agree to the random add-ons they suggest when you try to take out an insurance, and then they would find millions of ways to pick out random words from their fine-print to reject your claims or deny support. Worst of all, they will try to paint you as a fraud suggesting various ways you could be submitting false claims! As if customers can inflict self-harm and go through a tragedy on purpose to claim a small part of their losses! Stay away from such a company - when you run a business which you yourself cannot trust, no wonder you cannot trust your customers either!

The Aa's Response to arnabR's Review

Written on: 08/08/2022

Hi there, we're not able to suggest add-ons, sorry. You'd need to decide the cover options that best suit your needs. Please contact our customer service team directly, so we can help look into your quote.

“7 hours left waiting ”

Written on: 28/07/2022 by jaydotharris32 (1 review written)

Really disappointed with the service here was left waiting for an extremely long time had to keep calling up rude advisor on the phone really not interested to help Pick up times kept changing constantly Was made to pay an additional £110 Reading through previous comments not really surprised. Mechanic who attended was excellent Experience was so bad I’ve now cancelled my membership of 7 years as this company is no longer the same as it used to be. Definitely would not recommend to anyone

The Aa's Response to jaydotharris32's Review

Written on: 28/07/2022

Hi, sorry to see you've been left feeling this way, and the delay in getting you home. You'd only have an additional charge if you don't have the right level of cover for your needs at the time. We hope you raised this with us when you called to cancel the membership so we could look into any concerns you had.

Read 1 Comment

“I am not complaining as such but not Happy With The AA”

Written on: 21/07/2022 by gxWilson404 (1 review written)

Three days ago in my local paper I saw an ad for the AA breakdown service, but what disappointed me was the ad said Win £2000 worth of fuel or EV charging if you joined before 19 July 2022, that is fair enough but what about the members like my self who have been with them for years is that carrot they are dangling very fair. I have only call out the AA once in the many years I have been a member and I had expellant service

Written on: 23/07/2022

Thanks for your feedback. We do offer more benefits to our Members that stick with us, if there's anything you'd like help with, just give us a call.

Read 1 Comment

“Disgusted with the lack of service from the AA ”

Written on: 25/06/2022 by 157Monahan (1 review written)

Girlfriend was ran into a ditch on a single track country road by another car. AA told her she was priority and would take an hour. 4 hours later shes still there, on a lonely area with limited phone signal and partially blocking the road. AA just kept deferring the time. Eventually a tow truck arrives, the AA charged £300 for this, the company that arrived stated they charge £150 for the same service. So AA took advantage of the accident kept her waiting 4 hours in a vulnerable situation and made sure they made a profit in the rescue. She's paid for the highest level of AA cover, all they did was phone someone else and make some ££ on it. The second time the AA have let her down. Previously a few months earlier after a breakdown a promised 40 minute wait turned into 3 hours in the rain with 3 kids in the car, every text message from them added another hour to the ETA. In the end she contacted a local garage and cancelled the AA call out. Safe to say with renewal due we wont be using them again, hearing the same story from other users.

Written on: 27/06/2022

Hi there, we're sorry about your Girlfriend's delay and hope she's okay. We can help after an accident, there's a charge but you can usually get this back from your Car Insurance. Please let her know to get in touch if there's anything she'd like us to look into.

Jg1001's Comment

Written on: 27/06/2022

Shes already been in touch with the complaints department and waiting for a reply. The issue is the amount of time it took for someone to assist and the excessive charge that AA applied.

Read 2 Comments

“Useless, incompetent and devoid of empathy and...”

Written on: 03/06/2022 by 3j4l (1 review written)

The AA insurance are useless when handling an accident. Took 3 months to resolve a clear no fault case. Poor communication is an understatement as the repairer had to inform me of a total loss. Each call to the AA was over 1.5hr wait. Made 3 complaints, 2 ignored and one resolved failing to acknowledge the issues. Then after the matter was settle as a non fault claim, I got a a solicitors letter for the hire care charges asking me to prove I could not afford the hire fees. I rang the AA and they told my that yes I am liable and should have done what I can to limit costs! The AA we're the cause for taking 3 months to decide if my car was a total loss, not me and then they tell me I am liable. NEVER use this useless and incompetent money grabbing business. AX who handled the hire car however were very good.

The Aa's Response to 3j4l's Review

Written on: 04/06/2022

We can see you've left the same review on other sites and have replied there.

“No compassion”

Written on: 20/05/2022 by Djmonsta (1 review written)

They left me stranded 100 miles from home with a 2 year old because I wasn't allowed to use the service in the first 24 hours (?). This was 23 hours and 40 mins after taking the cover out.

The Aa's Response to Djmonsta's Review

Written on: 23/05/2022

Hi Djmonsta, we're sorry to hear you've been left feeling this way. There is a 24-hour period before you can use the service if you want to use the cover on the day you buy it. We wouldn't refuse service, we'd offer a chargeable recovery for services provided on the day. We hope the team advised this at the time and you're all OK and got home safely.

Djmonsta's reply to The Aa's Comment

Written on: 23/05/2022

This was the next day and was very close to the 24 hour threshold (although I wasn't aware it was in place). I even said on the phone that if I call back in 20 mins then we should be fine but that also wasn't good enough apparently. I ended up paying a local garage £180 to come and help me, so yes no thanks to you we did eventually get home safely.

Mummy2Hhs's reply to Djmonsta's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2022

This review is helpful as I had an awful experience with the RAC taking almost a whole day to recover, with children in tow. Luckily highways came to the rescue, getting the children somewhere safer and more comfortable. The response from the AA to your comment here tells me all I need to know about what kind of service they are likely to offer in comparison. It's quite sad really, as I was hoping to switch to a more reliable breakdown service. I had a weird idea that they would be more helpful, for some reason.

Ferguz's reply to Mummy2Hhs's Comment

Written on: 07/07/2022

Thanks for your update. I had thought about joining AA but no way now

Read 4 Comments

“2 tow trucks and 10.5 hrs to get home”

Written on: 19/05/2022 by gvClancy55 (1 review written)

I took my grandson racing at Darley moor on the above date. First thing in the morning my grandson complained of feeling unwell and was rushed into Derby hospital for immediate surgery. I needed to take the van home but the brakes failed. At 11.05 I called the AA for assistance. At 11.09 Richford Motor Services called to get the correct location and said they were coming out. They arrived and said I needed a tow truck (I had already said this) I waited until 15.44 for a truck. They eventually arrived and loaded me up. I thought that since I had made my initial call at 11.05 (4 and three quarter hours) that I would be going home. I was very worried about my grandson, in the hospital having surgery. No the truck said they were taking me to junction 15 services where they said I would have to phone you for further assistance. They found this rather amusing. I did not !!!! They could not take me to services due to the motorway being closed, but dumped me on double yellow lines at junction 16, with no toilet, and alone under trees. I phoned the AA at 17.03 to say where I was and again at 17.25. The AA phoned me back eventually at 17.59 to say they had ordered a truck and to check my location - they thought I was at junction 15 At 19.02 I called the AA again as I was still sat there, they said the truck would be with me by 19.00 ???? !!!!! Really. Eventually they said 19.15. It eventually arrived at 19.23 (8.23 hours since my initial call) Now I am a nearly 70 year old disabled old lady sat on double yellow lines in the dark with nothing to eat drink or no toilet. I was in immense pain from a spinal injury and worried sick about my grandson, and my battery on my phone was going. The truck that eventually picked me up was from Wolverhampton - he was from Burke brothers, absolutely fantastic, and took me all the way home, eventually arriving home at 21.25 so 10.5 hours after my initial call. This is absolutely disgraceful. The reason Richford could not take me all the way had nothing to do with zones, you totally lied to me, it was because they do not have tacos in their vehicles, (so their drivers can work 12 hours and do not have to take the breaks, but the down side is they can only work within 60 miles of their base) This is an absolute disgrace, and you really do need to review your policies. Had I known this I would seriously have though about the cover we all took out. Green flat take you all the way home without stages !!!!! The AA used to have a good reputation but you are now using far too many inferior sub contract garages. I suggest you look at these garages and if they do not have tacos you do not use them!!!!! I would have been better staying where I was until Burke were available as at least there was a somewhere to eat and toilets and people I knew. I trust I will get a full apology and you will review your recovery service.

Written on: 20/05/2022

Hi there, we're sorry about the delay. We aim to come out as quickly as we can and if a recovery is then needed, the time can be affected by the availability of local Patrols, traffic and weather conditions. Also, we use legged relays within our recoveries to make sure Patrols stick to their driving hours and within their areas. We hope you and your Grandson are okay, and you got home safely.

Mummy2Hhs's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2022

This review is helpful. They sound just as bad as RAC. We had a very similar experience and I was looking to change recovery services. They dont obviously highlight this stuff when they are selling the product. I couldn't believe it when they recovered to 30 mins down the road etc....it's crazy....apparently its referred to as being "legged" something I wish I had known before!!!

Read 2 Comments

“Quick to take money but not so quick to provide a...”

Written on: 18/05/2022 by ShakeelAhmed (1 review written)

Broken Down on motorway writing this review, called at 21.46 was told with in the hour now it’s 23.33 been told 30 minutes That’s over 2 hours, been told by motorway officers that I’ve got around 2 hours then they may move my car but just to a safe place but I’ll get charged for that, How on earth does that wirk, AA should be responsible for covering cost if they know the law of card breaking down on the motorway

“Disgraceful to say the least”

Written on: 04/05/2022 by Johnsonfg473 (1 review written)

I never thought that I would end up writing such a poor review of The AA, but after what occurred last Saturday/Sunday I have completely changed my mind. Approximately 15 minutes after leaving Cherwell Valley Services on the M40 at 1am and heading northwards our car had a rear offside tyre blow out, and since our driver is an AA member he attempted to contact them, however, all he got for over 30 minutes was a looped message telling him how to report the incident on an app along with other extraneous messages. On finally contacting a human being he explained the situation, and was informed that they would arrange for the vehicle to be collected. After waiting for nearly three and a half hours the tow truck finally arrived at 5am, but not to take us to our final destination - our driver having national breakdown recovery - but rather to Frankley Services on the M5 for the tyre to be assessed and replaced, or at least that is what we were told was going to happen. On arrival at Frankley Services about 5:30am the man from the tyre repair company assessed the tyre, but because The AA had not previously examined the tyre he did not have the appropriate tyre with him!!! What a shambles Our driver then informed that because the nightshift finish at 6am there would be no one available to complete our recovery home until the day shift started at 6am. Since we had received no call back from The AA by 7am our driver again tried to contact The AA, only to encounter the same looped message telling him how to report the incident on an app along with other extraneous messages. When he did eventually manage to make contact with a human being he was informed that the truck to complete our journey would be there at approximately 8am; about the only time factor the AA got right. From our initial phone call to The AA until we eventually left Frankley Services had taken nearly seven hours!!! The service (what an oxymoron) provided that morning by The AA was an absolute disgrace, that the AA is more interested in the use of technology than employing humans who can understand and communicate with people: when are these companies going to realise we want to talk to another human being, and not a machine? Whilst the service provided by The AA communications and call centre where an absolute disgrace, the drivers of the pick up wagons were very helpful, and did all they could to assist us. There is a programme on tv called Undercover Boss, maybe it is about time the management at The AA went undercover as customers who have broken down/frontline operatives to see what happens in the real world, rather than from their ivory towers.

Written on: 04/05/2022

Hi there, we're sorry to see you've been disappointed by the recent service. After any call for help, we'll always look to have someone with you as soon as possible. There are factors that can affect a wait time like the location, the number of resources in the area, and the recent high demand for service we've seen. We would always look to assess the car first, and if recovery is needed, this may be requested separately. For everyone's safety, our drivers comply with drive time regulations which limit the amount of time/distance a driver can take you. If the Member can contact us directly, we can look to raise a complaint. We hope you're all OK and managed to get home safely.

“RIPPED OFF BY THE AA ”

Written on: 16/04/2022 by Eand6 (1 review written)

Do not sign up to AA, source local company, cheaper and will save £100's and a lot of headache and hassle. We had a terrible time with them, our car broke down on side of road and they sent someone to recover it but would only take within 10 miles after charging £157.99 . We were to be taken off the side of the road to a safe location before it could be looked at by an engineer, they never turned up after sending us numerous texts saying someone was on their way. Initial call out was 4pm and after realising they sent the recovery vehicle to the mechanic to pick the vehicle up and not the location the recovery driver had left the car which wouldnt start, we had to rebook another recovery at approx 7pm, it was approaching 10pm and no sign of anyone, we ended up having to get our own transport home at night with 2 kids. Phoned the next day to book in recovery again as no one turned up and they would only take vehicle within 10 miles if we wanted it further it would be a further surcharge of (£60 approx) our mechanic was 16 miles away from car location. So we paid £157.99 for a recovery vehicle to take a few miles and to be stranded a few miles away from our original breakdown. Spent over an hour trying to sort it out with customer service only for them to offer me an upgrade on my plan, eh no thanks. Also have a £7.99 membership for the next 12 months, lucky us.

The Aa's Response to Eand6's Review

Written on: 20/04/2022

We've replied to your posts on our other Social channels, please provide the information requested on there previously.

“Pathetic service”

Written on: 11/04/2022 by JaelynGill185 (1 review written)

My car was reluctant to go yesterday as I felt something was not right so I called AA to help. I phoned in about 11.20AM. I was told someone would be with me no later than 12.40 pm. By 12.40 there was no sign of anyone and no update in the app either after waiting nearly an hour and a half ? So I phoned up to find out what was happening … then I was told someone should be with me by 1.40. Some third party guy turned up at 1.50 pm after waiting two and a half hour later ! He took a look of it and told me clutch bearing gone. He told me some pick-up truck should be with me the next half hour. He then drove off ! Half an hour gone by and no sign of anyone. I phoned up again to check then I was told someone should be with me within an hour ? Seriously ! Someone finally turned up at 3.15 …so I literally spent 4 hours of waiting to get help ? Luckily it was a warm afternoon otherwise I would be frozen to death with such service. I had AA before and never encountered of more than an hour of waiting. This is absolutely beyond a joke ! This kind of service had increased waiting time from an hour to four hours ! I am not using your company anymore, so pathetic !

Written on: 11/04/2022

Hi, we're sorry to hear you were unhappy with our service, we've been much busier than usual but have tried to get to all Members as quickly as possible. We never want to leave our Members waiting, but many factors can affect the callout times, like the availability of local Patrols, weather, unexpected workload and much more. We hope you're Ok and got home safely.

Read 1 Comment

“Over 5 hours to get recovered”

Written on: 28/03/2022 by 66Walsh (1 review written)

Called them at 7pm and told exactly what the problem was, 3rd party recovery showed up to look at the vehicle. AA hadn't told them it was a van and they couldn't recover it. Called back, on hold for 26 minutes, got told that the job hadn't been updated and that no one was coming to recover me. Finally a 2nd recovery company turned up at midnight and took me home. Terrible service and won't be renewing next month.

Written on: 30/03/2022

Hi, we're sorry to hear this. During busy periods we use third party garages to attend so you're not left waiting. It's unfortunate they were unable to recover you at this stage. We're pleased the Breakdown team were able to locate a recovery truck to get you home in the end.

Jezza83's Comment

Written on: 30/03/2022

That's only because I called back when you left me stranded! You should have called me when the first lot couldn't help me. Either hire more staff or don't take on so many customers if you can't handle it.

“AWFUL SERVICE ”

Written on: 19/03/2022 by Lucy1207 (1 review written)

I am a 21 year old girl on my own, I broke down, I called and they sent one recovery vehicle that took an hour to arrive then for it not to have a tow bar to take my vehicle, so had to call for another one that took 3 and a half hours!! This is not acceptable when I was supposed to be priority being a woman on my own at 22:00 o’clock at night, with no heating in my car because it’s totally broken down! I will not be renewing my subscription with you at the end of the year.

The Aa's Response to Lucy1207's Review

Written on: 21/03/2022

Hi, sorry to hear about the delay you experienced. We'll always aim to reach you as quickly as possible, and hope you were able to raise any concerns you have, so we can look into these.

“Yannik”

Written on: 10/03/2022 by ksMcKee232 (1 review written)

Great experience today meeting Yannik our AA man. Sorted out what was wrong and although it couldn’t be fixed on the spot he organised a relay to a garage and advised on what was needed. Great service. Put our minds at rest. 5 stars for Yannik Ricardo Belafonte. And what a name!

Written on: 12/03/2022

That's fab, we're chuffed Yannik was able to help put your minds at rest

Written on: 12/03/2022

That's fab, we're chuffed Yannik was able to help put your minds at rest

“Rubbish ”

Written on: 03/03/2022 by jaysmith2021 (1 review written)

Flat tyre can’t be changed because mot isn’t valid! And I paid membership fees for last 20 years.

The Aa's Response to jaysmith2021's Review

Written on: 04/03/2022

Hi, legally as we'd be repairing a car to go back on the road, it needs to have a valid MOT, as listed in our Terms and Conditions.

Read 1 Comment

“Paid membership for years”

Written on: 02/03/2022 by Rose429 (1 review written)

Paid membership for yrs no call outs then as my car wldnt start in driveway they wanted £83 for call out. I will never use them again after membership. Bad service. I will go with another team.

Written on: 04/03/2022

Hi Rose, when the cover you need isn't held, we’ll offer you an upgrade so we can get a Patrol out.

Read 1 Comment

“AWFUL EXPERIENCE. DO NOT USE”

Written on: 26/02/2022 by Gupton (1 review written)

Do not use the AA. I am appalled at the service they gave me I have now had 2 very VERY bad experiences with them. Yesterday I broke down on the motorway and it took them 8 hours to come and look at my car. I am a 22 year old women and I was by myself in the dark at night and apparently I was ‘priority’ however, they wouldn’t look at my car on the motorway so I had to be pulled off before they would even see me. They told me they would be there for 4pm they did not sort the problem out until gone midnight. Once they finally came they charged me an EXTRA £450 to get my car home as they only cover 50 miles free … WHAT ARE WE EVEN PAYING FOR IN THE MEMBERSHIP?! DO NOT USE THEM! I will be writing a bad review on every site possible and will be leaving them straight away. I will steer everyone away from the AA that is thinking of joining.

The Aa's Response to Gupton's Review

Written on: 28/02/2022

Hi Gupton, sorry to see you feel this way. When you don't have the right level of cover for your needs, we'll always offer an upgrade at the time which comes with additional costs. For safety, where possible, we'd move you away from the lanes of the motorway before trying to fix the car. We're pleased you got home okay, and hope the car is fixed now.