Malagacar.com Reviews - www.malagacar.com

Malagacar.com - www.malagacar.com

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“Worst service ever”

Written on: 25/02/2019 by etodd (1 review written)

I have hired lots of cars in Malaga over the years. This is my second and definitely the last time with Malagacar. They rented me a car that had a flat battery after lees than 100km - I had only used it to drive from Malaga to Nerja and then 3 times to the supermarket. The first time, the kind man from the breakdown truck service restarted the car with jump leads and then advised me to drive for half an hour to recharge the battery, which I did. A few hours later we tried to restart the car to… Read Full Review

Malagacar's Response to etodd's Review

Written on: 02/07/2019

Hi, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with us, did you receive a reply from our manager?

“Fuel Rip Off”

Written on: 12/03/2016 by raphaeldoyle (1 review written)

They claim No Fuel Ripoff. Not true. I carefully brought the car back with appreciably more than the half tank they gave me and still they put the whole amount on my credit card without telling me. They are hard to get hold of and then don't listen and don't try to put things right. Also the pick up from the airport was absolute chaos and the queues at the office were very long and being dealt with with all the customer attention of a benefits office. They have my money and the fuel I bought… Read Full Review

Raphaeldoyle's Response to raphaeldoyle's Review

Written on: 14/03/2016

In fairness, I have now had an email apologising that there was a glitch in their online booking system so that it appeared I was not due the refund when I was. They tell me they are refunding the fuel charge. So now that I'm less angry I should add that the car was great and malagacar.com is very convenient - and they do respond to complaints!

Judyreid2000's Response to raphaeldoyle's Review

Written on: 16/05/2016

I am worried now .I have not checked my credit card yet. I have just come back from holiday and given them a brilliant review

Malagacar's Response to raphaeldoyle's Review

Written on: 15/03/2016

Hi,

We are really sorry for this incident and the amount of 37,80 € will be refunded to your credit card.

We claim "No fuel Rip off" and this is true. When you made the booking there was a technical error that didn't display the different rate packs we offer, so your reservation was registered as “Basic pack” in our system, meaning that the fuel must be paid in advance and return the car empty. When you called on Saturday, my colleague Miguel saw the basic pack was applied to your booking, so there shouldn't be any refund for unused fuel, but I've checked the system and I can see that you were not offered the different packs (please have a look at your booking confirmation), so I understand the reason you were confused and brought the car with fuel.

Please accept our apologizes.

Roamin's reply to Malagacar's Comment

Written on: 15/01/2017

There is definitely an indirect 'RIP-OFF' with the MalagaCars Basic Pack.
With the Basic Pack they charge for what they THINK is in the tank and you are supposed to bring it back EMPTY !!!!
Now honestly .... WHO will bring it back EMPTY!!
You need to make SURE that you have enough to return it and not run out on the way back. They then charge the next customer AGAIN for what YOU have left in the tank.
The way fuel guages show fuel, most customers will probably leave at least €10 of unused fuel .. and MANY customers a LOT more. The next customer will be charged for that.
That is definitely a system for indirect 'rip-off'.

Raphaeldoyle's Response to raphaeldoyle's Review

Written on: 14/03/2016

Judyreid2000's reply to Raphaeldoyle's Comment

Written on: 16/05/2016

I am glad you resolved the problem because I think they are a great company

Read 6 Comments

“Poor Customer Service”

Written on: 06/01/2016 by al613613 (1 review written)

Paid cash. Noticed on receipt that I had actually 'paid' 10 Euro less, which means the worker stole 10 Euro. Pointed it out on return, and was told that I should email the manager, and the money returned and employee fired. Unfortunately the manager simply didn't believe me and refused to refund me the money, which is shame because otherwise the customer service was average. Traveled 9-13 August 15… Read Full Review

Malagacar's Response to al613613's Review

Written on: 12/01/2016

Hi,

I'm not sure what happened, as your rental was more than 4 months ago. In this case, if you have received a response from the manager and he couldn't find any irregularity, then there's not much we can do for you. Our offices are under CCTV surveillance (he would have been fired immediately). Maybe our rep made a mistake with the change, or maybe it was on your side.

You can mention this problem on future rentals and we will apply you a special discount.

Read 1 Comment

“WARNING Bad Service - Rude Poeple”

Written on: 12/08/2015 by 426Kirby (1 review written)

Waekness of MALAGACAR.COM is their situation far from Malaga Airport, you need their courtesy shuttle to get to "your" car. When we arrived on a not really busy Monday evening in Malaga, after one hour we still were'nt taken there ... the small "bus" showing up every 15/20 min is capable to take five poeple only, when there were waiting 25 for it. The agent lady at the airport (seems to be a student on summerjob with -at least - very good machine gun english, but with no interest in solving any… Read Full Review

Written on: 13/08/2015

Hi,

After reading your point of view let us explain:

1. We never say that we have an office inside the airport. Moreover, if you read the reviews you will see as there are customers who not only comment on our minibus service but say the service is fast. Additionally if you read our terms and conditions (available online) you will see that we explain how we work and that upon arrival you should not head towards the rent a car offices.

2. Regarding your arrival, you did not arrive on an ordinary Monday (although it was Tuesday) but a Tuesday in August (peak season). We have a system in which it is recorded the time you arrive until the time at which the lease is printed and therefore you are taking your car. Looking at the arrivals numbers from 145 to155 (you had the 150), the average is 22 minutes which we believe is not bad at all taking into account getting to the bus stop, getting on the bus, coming to the office to formalize the lease and pay.

3. After examining the order of numbers of the arrival times and the times of printing contracts, I see that they are correlative. With this I conclude that no one jumped the queue.

4. I do not think my colleague hung up but called the minibuses to ask if something was wrong.

Read 1 Comment

“BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING THIS COMPANY”

Written on: 04/08/2015 by nrjh (1 review written)

I booked a "BMW X3 or similar" (a 4 wheel drive with ample luggage space) as advertised on their website and subsequently received a booking confirmation referring to "BMW 3 series or similar". I emailed the company three times to obtain clarification that this was a BMW X3 but got no reply. A few days before departure they told me that the car was a 3 series saloon (which isn't a 4 wheel drive and doesn't have room for 4 suitcases) but that they would refer the matter to "the manager". When we… Read Full Review

Malagacar's Response to nrjh's Review

Written on: 13/08/2015

Dear Mrs. Higgs,

The mistake was made at first step by one of our colleagues. I am checking the system and I must say than you are right. The booking was made for a X3 BMW, but by mistake we assigned you a BMW 3 series. Please accept our apologizes. I am reading the email Francisco sent you on July 9th and 10th where he said he was going to send me your request, but I never received such email, so this is why I couldn't contact you before. When you arrived on Saturday evening I was not in the office (I left it about 2 hours before) but I cannot understand why my colleague told you I was not reachable, I will discuss it with him. About the insurance, we don't make hard insurances sales at the collection time and if the other customers were charged for damages this is because their cars were returned with new damages (we always take photos before the car is rented in order to avoid any confusion). We only charge for damages and not full excess amount.

You paid € 1,279.30 but received a lesser car. The cost for a 3 series BMW for 2 weeks when you made the booking was 997,86 € so we will refund you 281,44 € + 60 € for the inconvenient caused and for you next trip.

If you give us the opportunity to help you on your next trip, I assure you I will give you a good discount. About the mistake that we have made this time I can assure you that is totally atypical. Customer service is the most important for us although I admit that this time has not been the best.

“605 euro windscreens!!!”

Written on: 13/07/2015 by Timblack4658 (1 review written)

Rented a car from them in April 2015. The optional insurance was more than the very cheap daily rental rate and so being the prudent risk taking rebel I am I thought I would go it alone. I have been using this company twice a year for the last 10years and never took or needed the insurance! I should have taken the insurance!!! Driving back to the airport a large stone hit the windscreen of our Renault scenic, it send a large crack up the windscreen and so the windscreen needed to be replaced!… Read Full Review

Malagacar's Response to Timblack4658's Review

Written on: 22/07/2015

Dear Mr. Black,

Maybe you never needed the insurance so you were never charged for a damage but this time you returned the car with a broken windscreen so a new one had to be replaced. 605,35€ is the windscreen replacement cost and this is what you paid. I don't think you can find a windscreen in Ireland for a Renault Scenic 2015 for less than 200 €.

Read 1 Comment

“Used to be a good company...not anymore”

Written on: 30/05/2015

Used to be a good upfront reliable company, with clear pricing. They now charge an additional 'service fee' if you don't take the full tank of fuel. This isn't in the headline rate and isn't clear when booking online. On return they also didn't make clear what would be refunded from the v large deposit (1000 euros) taken from your card, so you have no visibility of what they are actually charging until you get home. Shame. Was a good company, and have used many times. Not again… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/06/2015

Dear customer,

Please let us know your last reservation number to check this out.

“One-time experience”

Written on: 20/05/2015 by JPaavi (1 review written)

The day before the return date we asked by email at 11:00 if we should fuel the car. The negative reply came more than seven hours later - and by that time we had already bought some fuel. Mistakenly petrol, not diesel, which should have been used. Our fault, of course, but not without reasons. During the rental process the personnel never specified the fuel and the Spanish-language rental document mentioned diesel along with petrol. The car should have had a sticker mentioning diesel, but… Read Full Review

Malagacar's Response to JPaavi's Review

Written on: 22/05/2015

Dear Mr. Paavilainen,

In this case you made a mistake, so you are responsible for the damages caused.

Our staff always inform if the car is diesel or petrol. In addition, you can check this out in:
Your contract.
The key ring.
Car stickers.
(please have a look at the pictures attached by email)

The extra insurance does not cover refuelling the wrong fuel type, you can read it in our term and conditions as well as in your booking confirmation.

About the GPS deposit, it was refunded 3 days ago.

Read 1 Comment

“Malagarcar.com Rip off extra charges 850 euros ”

Written on: 06/05/2015 by McCoypn402 (1 review written)

After a 1 hour wait to be seen. Charges not described on website. Said if I didnt take extra insurance, I would have to pay extra £850 euro straight out of my bank account, also not on website. Website says full insurance, another lie. After asking to speak to owner I was ignored for a further 30 minutes. Owner tried to bully me into paying, raising his voice and when I said I would let people know on internet. Refused to give me any car. All the other people waiting were shocked at extra… Read Full Review

Written on: 12/05/2015

Dear McCoypn402,

We are sorry you have had a bad experience with us, but to be honest, everything was stated in our terms and conditions, as well as in your rental confirmation. Once you make a booking, you accept our terms, in fact is mandatory to read them prior finishing a reservation.

Unhappylad's Comment

Written on: 21/05/2015

You even try to deceive by not having any negative reviews on your own website. There are hundreds on independent websites. Beware

Read 2 Comments

“800 € deposit ? I can't find this in "Terms &...”

Written on: 21/04/2015 by Vlkomil (1 review written)

The van took us from Malaga airport to their office. There they wanted 800 € deposit, but in "Terms & Conditions" there is no such thing, there is only "additional insurance is available ... 800 €". I am not best at English, but if it says "is available" it doesn't mean "is necessary" ? I did not have this amount of money on my bank account, so their van took me back to the airport. It was at night and with a small child, so you can imagine the situation. This is extract from their "Terms… Read Full Review

Malagacar's Response to Vlkomil's Review

Written on: 24/04/2015

Hi, just below the text you copied you can read:

"In the case of not taking out the insurance offered in the previous point, at the time of picking up the vehicle, Malagacar.com reserves the right to charge the Excess amount as a deposit which will be returned to the client at the end of the contract if the vehicle is returned in the same conditions."

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused, but to be honest, it was stated before you booked the vehicle.

“Dishonest company”

Written on: 02/03/2015 by PeterWoodward (1 review written)

After 40 minute wait with baggage in the sun my debit card was refused and I was asked to pay cash and 500 cash deposit. This despite everything agreed by mail weeks earlier. There was no interest in even acknowledging what they had previously agreed. I do not deal with dishonest people so left immediately. Their bad practice is fuelled by the queues of people who just accept their behaviour. Don't complain afterwards… Read Full Review

Malagacar's Response to PeterWoodward's Review

Written on: 04/03/2015

Dear Mr. Woodward,

Your flight landed at 14:26 and you were met by my colleague at arrival hall at 14:46. The car was not collected, as I cancelled your booking at 15:18. In addition, if you were met at the airport at 14:46, you may have arrived to our office at 14:50 or 14:55, so you hadn't been waiting for 40 minutes under the sun.

The booking was made on February 10th at 18:17 and you wrote you were going to pay by cash. The same day at 19:17 we answered you:
"Take note, if you pay cash, we need credit card as guarantee and is mandatory to take the extra insurance."

At 19:48 we replied another message from you explaining that maestro cards are not accepted, and you replied you didn't have a credit card, only maestro.

At 19:52 we told you that there is no way to pay by cash without a credit card.

You were not asked to pay by cash and leave a cash deposit, but your debit card was declined, so, in fact, what I did was give you an option to hire a car with us, which you refused as well.

Peterwoodward's reply to Malagacar's Comment

Written on: 05/03/2015

The deception continues. Only three or four people can stand indoors at this tiny office so when three or four minibuses arrive in 10 minutes most of the people (up to 20 at the time) have to wait outside in the sun.
The organisation is bad. The person behind the desk is the same person finding and delivering the car so when the administrative process is completed the desk attendant disappears for 5 minutes. The company does not mind. The customers do.
My ABN AMRO debit card was refused. The company refused to read the emails I had brought with me proving they had previously agreed to my use of the debit card. They finally agreed to take cash if I also paid 500 deposit in cash. Having not being able to trust them so far I refused since I had the feeling there may later be a "reason" why I did not get my deposit back. The company does not care about te inconvenience they cause.
Be warned! I have now twice stated all the facts, am now on vacation, never normally use this site and shall now enjoy my vacation and will not visit the site again.

Malagacar's reply to Peterwoodward's Comment

Written on: 06/03/2015

Hi Peter,

As you can read from other customer reviews, the deposit is refunded without problems a few days after drop-off.

I understand those inconveniences caused may have disappoint you, but everything was stated on our terms and conditions and via email.

If you decide to try our services in the future (taking in mind the debit card issue), we will be pleased to serve you.

Read 3 Comments

“not good”

Written on: 09/05/2014 by RyanMacPherson (1 review written)

It was a disaster. Having booked with aurigacrown the booking confirmation was from malagacar.com. when I arrived at the airport I was directed to the shuttle bus pickup area. There was about 25 people waiting for the 8 seated bus. There was a rush for the first bus to arrive, no such thing as a queue. A second bus arrived and the same thing happened. This was on a Tuesday morning, not what you consider a busy time. I thought of what it must be like at the malagacar office processing such a… Read Full Review

Written on: 12/05/2014

Hello Ryan,

We are very sorry you had to wait at the airport, it isn't very usual. Please could you send us your booking id? So we can check your travel dates and contact you personally.

MalagaCar

“Cheaters”

Written on: 12/09/2013 by afibudapest (1 review written)

This company was one of the best 4 years ago BUT unfortunately they became the worst , 1- we had to wait for 38 minutes for bus to take us to the office 2-I had to pay 300€ as deposit ONLY by credit card ( I wanted to pay cash) 3- On Internet site it's NOT mention about deposit 4- after 20 minutes paper work I get my carbut without babysit again had to go back pay and get it 5- after returning the car I did NOT get back my deposit ,still after 10 day and 4-5 email NO money on my account 6-… Read Full Review

Malagacar's Response to afibudapest's Review

Written on: 16/09/2013

Dear customer,

I appreciate your time and comment and try to respond point by point as most important to us is the customer, in this case you.

1. I can see that the plane landed at 7:34 pm and you made the payment with your credit card at 8:42 pm. In principle, it is a time not out of normal and even less considering that you arrived on a Saturday afternoon rush hour.

2. You didn't leave a deposit of €300, although it was one of €243.52, which you can either way pay by card or cash. It seems there occurred an error, so please accept our apologies.

3. On our website we do mention the deposit. Not only we mention it, but we also differ from other car rental companies because we don´t ask for minimum amounts of 400 € or 600 €. Just when submitting the quote, you can see a “+ info” link (highlighted in red) where you can check what is included and what is not included. You can also see the terms and conditions by clicking on "read full Terms". It is also explained in the booking confirmation which I enclosed in a private email to you.

4. The cars are always delivered without child seats and it is the client who must request them; although you are right that you booked it, thus the staff should have asked at least what type of chair you requested. Please accept our apologies on this point.

5. Generally, the deposit will be returned within 24 hours. Your deposit was returned on the 10th of September (7 days after returning your vehicle). Although this doesn't happen frequently, I'll talk to the administration department so it doesn't happen again.

6. Please tell me what happened when you returned your vehicle, as you said the staff was poorly educated and I want to know exactly what happened.

J. Alberto Anglada

“Bad Customer Service”

Written on: 11/08/2013 by MrMantlemas (1 review written)

Terrible customer service. I booked a car to carry four people and two cases as described, car barley fitted one average size suitcase in the boot and advisor was very rude and unhelpful which was dissapointing as it was late and I had my two young children with me. He also applied a 25 euro charge for after hours that was not on original booking as I check for these kind of charges. It was clear the advisor was just trying to get us to upgrade vehicle / insurance at a additional cost and did… Read Full Review

Malagacar's Response to MrMantlemas's Review

Written on: 26/08/2013

Hi MrMantlemas, we are very sorry to read that you had a bad experience with us. Please let me know your booking number in order to further investigate this issue.

On the other hand, you can find in our terms and conditions (available online) the following sentence:
- Collection of vehicles between 23:00 y 08:00. The collection of vehicles between the mentioned hours has a surcharge of 25€.

MalagaCar

Afibudapest's Response to MrMantlemas's Review

Written on: 12/09/2013

I absolutely agree with you .

Read 2 Comments

“Stay away from these guys!”

Written on: 14/11/2012 by celestun (1 review written)

Watch out with this company! There are many hidden charges in their contracts, as with many hire companies all hidden in the small print. Also if you happen to be driving through Granada, be warned the place is like a mine field of hidden cameras waiting to catch any unsuspecting tourist who breaks any of their minute traffic laws. Malagacar then profits from this and charges you 25 euros "administrative fee" for EACH traffic "violation" Granada sends them. Completely unaware I had done… Read Full Review

Terry82's Response to celestun's Review

Written on: 16/11/2012

why not stick to the spped limit and avoid the charges?? 150 / 25 means you were caught speeding 6 times!! in the UK you would have lost your license, i'd take 150 euro fine any day :)

Celestun's reply to Terry82's Comment

Written on: 19/11/2012

Obviously you don't know basic arithmetic. The car hire company charged 50 euros in addition to the 100 euros for driving in parts of Granada that only locals know are forbidden to cars. I never received a speeding fine. But yes you would be happy to pay... so would I if I couldn't count!

Afibudapest's Response to celestun's Review

Written on: 12/09/2013

Absolutely agree with you ! These good comments which are written are fake ..it's written by them the company workers.

Malagacar's Response to celestun's Review

Written on: 04/01/2013

Dear Malagacar.com Customer,

Regarding your allusion about hidden costs, we would like to inform you that all rental conditions are published both on the web where you made the reservation and as well in the lease.

As a matter of fact, committing traffic infractions doesn´t not give you the right to blame the car company with which you committed these infractions.

Our intention is to give the best service while keeping prices low; having to notify the infractions committed by some clients often involves having to prove repeatedly the partnership contract in the association and then the employee has to go back to the post office to send it certified to the appropriate agency, in this case the city council of Granada.

For all this we would like to inform you that these transactions charged to you do not even remotely cover the costs of identifying you as a traffic infractor; these costs amount to more, but our goal is always customer loyalty. On the other hand, we are sorry that such traffic violations have spoiled your holiday.

Malagacar.com

Celestun's reply to Malagacar's Comment

Written on: 04/01/2013

So far your company has charged me 75 euros administrative charges. This is in addition to the traffic fine which I have yet to receive (5 months later).

I have yet to see an official copy of these incidents for supposedly driving in parts of Granada that only locals would know are off limits. This is obviously an inside scam on tourists and your company has found a way to profit from our misfortune.

When your company stops this outrageous way of profiting from unsuspecting tourists then we will have no more need to comment negatively on your poor service.

Read 5 Comments

“malagacar rip off”

Written on: 05/11/2012 by cfarnsbarn (1 review written)

I have rented from malagacar several times in the past,and have been very happy.However I wont be using them again.when I collected the car,they gave me a rental agreement with all costs in Euros,but no Visa slip.When I returned the car they told me they had returned my deposit,again no Visa slip. Reading my credit card statement on my return I find they've charged me in Pounds and refunded my deposit in Euros.I have a credit card that does'nt charge for overseas transactions and converts Euros… Read Full Review

Afibudapest's Response to cfarnsbarn's Review

Written on: 12/09/2013

Exactly ,they are cheaters ,I had the same experiment with them and still I'm after my deposit .

Read 1 Comment

“Could have ruined a good holiday”

Written on: 02/02/2012

Arrived at the airport and found the rep, with some difficulty. Was directed to leave the building and wait for a bus outside the airport. Collected a car in extremely poor cosmetic condition and discovered that mechanically it was not much better. The clutch failed around 7pm on the second day of a six day break. The mechanic's could not fix the car for me so they took the car away (the mechanic's could not understand a word of English, so beware if you are not a fluent Spanish speaker)… Read Full Review

Written on: 29/02/2012

Hello, I'm very sorry to read this. Please send your booking number and dates to [email protected] so we can check your case. Regards, Malagacar.com

Afibudapest's Comment

“Malagacar”

Written on: 04/01/2012

I arrived at Malaga airport to wonder around the arrival hall looking for the office. Eventually I found a man holding a board with Malagacars name on it.I was then instructed to walk 100 m around the corner to wait for a bus which took me to their office.I then had to wait in a line of people to complete the rental contract. Two hours after arriving I eventually got my car… Read Full Review

Written on: 29/02/2012

Dear customer, please send you booking details to [email protected] in order to check your issue and offer you a compensation. Thank you.

Afibudapest's Comment

Read 2 Comments

“What a weird expereince. ! Arrived in malaga , tried...”

Written on: 03/10/2010

What a weird expereince. ! Arrived in malaga , tried to get a car after a couple of days.
Booked with this company, using my original flight number and telling them I was already here, hence the number would not match the pick up time.
Received an email telling me that since I had already arrived I could not rent a car with them !!
Phoned the Malaga number and had a very curt attendant who told me in no uncertain terms- that the booking was cancelled as I was already in Spain.
I WOULD BE VERY… Read Full Review

“They cancelled my booking on the night of my flight...”

Written on: 15/08/2010

They cancelled my booking on the night of my flight out due to them not having any cars available. It didnt stop them taking my original booking though.
They take bookings at a very cheap rate until they are booked up then take further bookings at higher rates when they are fully booked in order to cancel the cheaper bookings and leave people in the lurch.
Avoid them at all costs!… Read Full Review