KEF Q3 (2002) Review

• Sound Quality

Paul.'s review of KEF Q3 (2002)

“Short version.. Just go and buy yourself these Kef Q3...”

Written on: 21/06/2002 by Paul. (1 review written)

Realism, Imaging, build (sound quality at price is astonishing).
I have owned speakers costing over twice this price that sounded far less convincing...

Nothing.

General Comments
Short version.. Just go and buy yourself these Kef Q3 speakers.

long version..

I am cursed with the ability to find fault with everything I buy..I am difficult to please.. my house has seen more televisions, speakers, amps, and cd players etc. etc. sent back because they have failed to live up to manufacturers claims or I have found them to be faulty in some way.

I had some old Kef coda 7 se's

I needed to upgrade my speakers after buying new kit.

I started with a pair of Mission 782s £700 (poor imaging and totally out of control bass) unless in the middle of the room 4ft from any walls..one bass driver came loose too.

I bought Monitor Audio silver 7i's very fast but harsh sounding,lacked realism and warmth (dip in bass freq. response bellow middle freq.) Both sounded great in shop but remember this has no bearing as to how they will sound in YOUR room ..

I made do with my old kef coda 7se's for another year, even though they should have strugled to handle the power output and indeed quality of the hardware (they actually sounded better than the planed replacements, much more realistic).

Having sat in their boxes in the garage for a year, I part exchanged the Monitor Audio's for some new Kef Q3s...they sound absolutely brilliant in my medium sized room (14ft by 11ft), set 6.5ft apart towed in slighty, 2.5ft from the back wall.. Realism with every genre of music, I am totally amazed by their performance. For the price I just can not believe how good they are... no I do not work for Kef!...Just go and buy them... I suppose I should give them a ten rating...but as I said I am difficult to please..oh to hell with it....

465770_Agusta04's Response to 28781_Paul.'s Review

Written on: 09/06/2009

I agree, I have shifted my B&Ws to the 7.1 system and put my new (second hand) Kefs on the 2.0 system. I just can not believe how good these are, such small drivers that respond to huge inputs, huge dynamic range and microscopic subtlety. Check them out with Aenima from Tool.