Nikon F60 Review

• Photograph Quality

Maska45.'s review of Nikon F60

“This Nikon F60 was the first 35mm SLR camera I...”

Written on: 29/05/2002 by Maska45. (1 review written)

Solid: good grip, good layout (command dials, buttons)
Good AF: accurate, good tracking, almost no hunt
Good flash sync speed: 1/125 sec. (max.)
Powerful built-in flash: covers lenses as wide as 28mm and has a guide number of 49 at ISO 100 (in feet)

No DOF preview
No multiple exposure
No auto-bracketing
CW metering only available while pressing AE-L button

General Comments
This Nikon F60 was the first 35mm SLR camera I grabbed. I bought it in Paris two years ago, in a combo with two zooms: a 28-80 AF-D and a 75-240 AF-D. An excellent setup for newbies.

Since then, I've been using it a lot, shooting different subjects (landscapes, portraits, sports, etc.) and under different conditions (everything except heavy rain) with excellent results. Just two words to qualify it: SOLID and CONSISTENT. If you get to know it well, it will never let you down.

For example, last month I shot a wakeboard festival from the shore with my F60 loaded with Kodak Supra 400 and a Nikkor 75-240 AF-D, under moderate to bright sunlight. I uploaded some pictures to show here:

The results were very good (well, I think so). Since I handheld my camera, I tried to set a fairly fast shutter speed (around 1/500) and a moderate aperture (around f/8) in order to get sharp pictures (stopping action and getting the subject in focus). However, the sky is dull and colors seems unnatural due to a lousy scanning process (Since I don't own a filmscanner, the negatives were scanned by the lab with a Noritsu digital minilab, and burned into a CD). The resulting digital images don't have any Photoshop treatment.