Compaq iPAQ 3870 Review

• Screen Quality

• Battery Life

Cath Lewis.'s review of Compaq iPAQ 3870

“I got error messages when installing the Compaq Ipaq...

Written on: 28/05/2002 by Cath Lewis. (1 review written)

It is small, light and looks good.

Synchronisation is not reliable, letter recognition feature does not work very well.

General Comments
I got error messages when installing the Compaq Ipaq 3870 PDA - could not connect via USB so had to use serial port. Most of the time it does not synchronise and gives yet more errors or there is a message saying "inbox - attention needed" but of course you cannot fix this as it requires a USB connection. So, I reinstall the software and it works for a couple of days but after a time synchronisation stops working. I reset the device, reinstall the software again... and so on. The transcriber feature is similarly unpredictable -works well for half an hour then mysteriously starts coming up with gobbledegoook. We have ordered 40 of these for our department at work. So far all of those that we have installed have had similar problems. With the addition of a keyboard it is a very expensive pocket sized word-processor - I wouldn't rely on any of its other features.

• Battery Life