Stirling Ackroyd Review

1.9

Guest's review of Stirling Ackroyd

“We recently moved out of a property that we rented...”

written by on 04/03/2011

We recently moved out of a property that we rented through Stirling Ackroyd for 2 years. When we moved into it, we were unimpressed by the company, but that was a long time ago so I can't remember the specifics. However, when moving out, three has been a trail of incompetence and rudeness from the agents.

Although SA had a set of keys for the property, they could not find them and so we had to be in each time someone wanted to view it. This was just before Christmas so we were really busy. The agents on the phone were pushy and rude to us, and when showing the clients around knew nothing about the property and so I was left to answer all of the questions. The agents themselves worked against each other, rather than with each other, to get the property rented, and would think nothing of trying to undercut each other - asking what time other agents were showing the flat and if they could come in a bit earlier...presumably this is because of the way their commission is structured.

They had not come around to photograph the property when it went on the market, and used archive photos which were not flattering (the big selling point of the flat was it's huge warehouse windows and view of St Paul's - SA prioritized a photo of the bathroom over this!)

When it came to moving out, they were disorganised and uncoordinated and so it was down to us and the landlady to sort out things like cleaners, moving in/out specifics and the inspection appointment for the company who was holding our deposit. SA wouldn't even come to the property to pick up a set of keys - we had to drop it off...and ONLY in office hours. Heaven forbid the staff should be asked to work around the paying clients' schedules.

Luckily, we get on very well with our landlady and when we met up we compared stories - she'd had an equally unimpressive time. The annoying thing is that she was paying over £200 every month for SA to do NOTHING. Not to mention the approx £3k required to rent out the property.

It is now over 2 weeks since we moved. We are still waiting for SA to cough up our £3k deposit (the landlady verbally approved it on the day we moved out). Having chased it with SA, yesterday we and the landlady received an "urgent" email from them:

"Please find attached a copy of the check -out report, kindly confirm

by return email if there are any deductions you wish to make.

Please can you treat this as urgent, I have copied the Tenants in to

this email so please come to an agreement."

All the agent had done was to forward us an email she had received from the holding company 7 DAYS BEFORE!!!

We have now bought our own property and are grateful we will never have to work with SA again. As for our landlady...next time, I think she will use GumTree!

• Rent Property

Used to

• Clerkenwell

Location

Guest's Comment

Written on: 15/08/2011

It is always sad to hear reviews like this in our industry- but perhaps even more so when you hear of Landlords/ladies not shopping around to find the best service. There are more and more of these independent review sites around and probably 2 of the most popular for agent listings are FreeIndex.co.uk and allagents.co.uk

As an owner of another local agency, we have established an outstanding reputation for the service we provide to Landlords and Tenants alike. I only wish we could meet more Landlords to show them the service they should receive.

I am not going to be crude and publicise my name, or my company's name, here however- if you go to either of the websites I have mentioned you will find us as one of the highest rated letting agents in the country.