Gilera DNA Scooter Review

• Build quality

• Reliability

Guest's review of Gilera DNA Scooter

“I got an absolute bargain on this bike. £265 as a...”

Written on: 02/02/2011

I got an absolute bargain on this bike. £265 as a stolen/recovered bike. £25 for a new ignition/seat lock set and £25 for logbook and I was good to go.

The bike is heavily modified (Malossi 70cc bore kit, 23mm dellorto carburettor, polini variator/rollers, PM tuning "Boost Bottle" and a few other extras. The bike cruises along at 60MPH @ 11,000RPM and holds it for longish journeys (25 miles+).

The acceleration is ridiculous, easily gets clear of cars at the lights.

Easily whips any other 70cc twist and go in my area and is not far off of geared 50s come 70s like the aprillia RS.

Rust IS a problem but with due care and attention this in not a fatal problem.

The wiring was messed up when I got it so I cannot say anything for the reliability. Although I did hear that the rain problem was to do with water getting into the clocks and can be solved with a little silicone sealant.

A circlip popped out which destroyed the cylinder and piston but this IS a Malossi modification so this is no fault of Gilera. Good news is that replacement (taiwanese) pattern bore kits (moulded from malossi by the look of it) can be bought for around £80 and will get you back on the road again.

The handling is great and I often achieve "knee downs" on the roads in my track leathers. A lot of bikers often mistake these for a full size motorcycle and I've had many nods.

All in all a fun bike which has taken a lot of abuse. Ideal for the sixteenagers and adults alike (I'm 6'2" and around 11 stone). I would DEFINATELY recommend to anyone so long as the price is low enough.

5 STARS FOR THE RIDING THRILL