Epiphone Sheraton II Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Captain Crisps's review of Epiphone Sheraton II

“This is a great guitar failed by cheap hardware. Once...”

Written on: 27/01/2011 by Captain Crisps (1 review written)

This is a great guitar failed by cheap hardware. Once you strip it out and re-fit with quality it is a wonderful instrument.

I bought mine in about 1998 thinking I was getting a Casino, would you believe. At that stage I was only a so-so guitarist but it was obvious, even to me, it had much more to give.

Reasons:

* Cheap pickups which lack response, particularly at the bass end

* It constantly goes out of tune

* Open strings sound dull

* The electrics feel sturdy as cobwebs

Unaltered, the Sheraton II can only rely on great playability, excellent build quality and catwalk looks. Which isn't too bad, I suppose.

Since then the following changes have been made:

* Gibson pickups (P-94 at neck and Burstbucker #3 at Bridge)

* Schaller M6 machine heads

* CTS pots with quality toggle switch, jack input and wiring

* Fossil ivory nut (I read bone would be fine, but I felt flash)

* Bigsby

Not cheap. Particularly as I had a luthier perform the work, which is advisable.

The result is a guitar which exceeds all expectations, and easily a match for a Gibson 335. This is particularly pleasing as - even with the extra cash for upgrades - the Gibson would be twice as expensive.

I have read reviews complaining of the hardware. I would add that should you wish to take this on, it would be the most rewarding upgrade project you could hope for.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard