34SP.com - www.34sp.com Review

gphood's review of 34SP.com - www.34sp.com

“I've had a reseller account with 34sp for several...”

Written on: 29/12/2010 by gphood (1 review written)

I've had a reseller account with 34sp for several years and whilst, like any company, there have been issues here and there, the main reason I have kept with them is their attitude to their customers, which has always been excellent.

The bandwidth and discspace allowance started to become a problem for me around three or four years ago. I was considering going elsewhere at that point, but they raised those limits quite considerably for all accounts just at the right time for me and it's not approached being an issue since.

Also, SMTP used to be a chargable extra, but these are now free additions on my reseller account which is great. The price is spot on for me - less than £20 a month to host up to 50 sites.

I have had issues with some of their installable scripts not working properly, particularly Joomla. I don't think these have been fully ironed out yet, but this may be down to the specific server my account is held on rather it being a problem across the board. I manually install these scripts myself now, but I do know that the support staff will work with customers as long as is needed to get any issues sorted out. It was a pain in the backside though, and it may be enough to put some people off who prefer things to just work automatically without any fuss.

The cheaper single domain accounts that 34sp used to do for about £15 per year no longer exist, unfortunately. They were great value, but possibly not worth the resources devoted to them, hence their disappearance.

All in all though, I'm not planning on going anywhere else. The reseller account is ideal if you have a fair amount of knowledge yourself to make the best of the facilities offered. If you're a developer/designer, you should have a decent enough grounding anyway. Even if you need a hand setting things up, the staff always seem to be on hand to help, with support emails often being answered out of hours, plus a standard rate landline support number during set times, as well as IRC if you want to talk to them that way. I never seem to be able to find the relevant information I need from their support pages and forums, but that's a minor quibble.

They're not perfect, but network issues and outages are relatively rare. When you're hosting a good number of websites, the level of support is more important than being the absolute cheapest option.

They are professional, helpful and knowledgable - therefore easily worth the reasonable prices they charge.