HTC Desire HD Review

• Battery Life

• Reception

• Style

Guest's review of HTC Desire HD

“I'm one of those persons that never found the perfect...”

Written on: 05/12/2010

I'm one of those persons that never found the perfect phone; but this one is very close!. I'm a average business oriented user. I have been researching smart phones for a while before I purchased the HTC Desire HD, and choose this one over the Samsung Galaxy because of better sync with Outlook During the research I was also particularly concerned about the general stability of Android 2.2, and the ability to fully integrate from a Bluetooth connectivity point of view with Ford Sync, which is installed from factory in my car.

I got the phone for 2 weeks now, and what a joy it is! First the areas that need some improvement; there are only two: Battery life is really too short to feel comfortable with. You really need to manage the phone from a power consumption perspective it will otherwise not last the full day. When using the camera, WiFi, or just internet, the battery runs empty very quickly. No doubt the fantastic and huge screen is the main contributor here, it is an important trade-off to consider. I charge where I can. Glad that HTC is using normal USB Micro cables so finding a charge sport is really easy. But still, a user should not have to worry about power consumption. The other negative is the build quality. Its really strange, but HTC makes such a high quality casing for this phone that also looks real good. But what was HTC thinking with these cheap looking plastic covers for the Battery and Sim. Its like they had run at the last moment out of development budget for this phone and had these covers designed in a time span of 2 minutes by a design Graduate!! They do not fit well, Moreover, when trying to remove them you need very strong nails. It took me a while, and feared for my nails and the phone itself. I also fear of opening it again in case I break the cover. I just cannot believe why HTC has let this go through the final quality control before mass producing.

Now the good. It's a long list, so I keep it to the main points: Interface is fantastic. I even dear to say it's better than the iPhone 4 that is with my wife. The screen is superb, bright, Sharp and extremely responsive. Typing via the virtual keyboard is better than average, but still cannot beat the hit rate you get with the iPhone. There is vibration feedback with each key-tap which I find very handy. Lots of installed application's and most have a sophisticated feel. Sound quality of the phone is very good; I wish the ring was a little louder. Its quick in anything you do with it, very responsive and a joy to use. Android 2.2 is very stable on the HTC platform, I never had the need to reboot. Best of all it has flash support for internet. And, like I started my review, it does well integrate with Ford Sync. It's just a petty that SMS via voice does not work, but from what I read, it does not with any phone. It also synchronizes very well with Outlook via HTC sync.

I'm happy with my purchase. It is expensive, very good looking besides the cheap plastic covers at the back and a real joy to use. It's for me my almost perfect choice; if only the battery lasted a bit longer. I hope HTC is listening with regard to the plastic covers at the back; that they will replace these with better fitting one!