Amsterdam, The Bulldog Red Light District Review

Guest's review of Amsterdam, The Bulldog Red Light District

“I booked a bed here for three days, after which I...”

Written on: 14/10/2010

I booked a bed here for three days, after which I decided to stay for another two. I went to the reception and, without knowing if I had enough cash, I started looking for money in my pockets. The receptionist asked my what I want. I told her to give me a second, I was looking for something. She asked me again and I replied the same thing, smiling. She asked me for a third time, in a matter of seconds, and then she went completely mad and started yelling and me. She asked for my key and told me I couldn't stay there. I asked her why and she said that she is the manager, and when she asked a question people should answer. I tried to solve the situation, didn't react badly, asked for the manager but nothing worked and, incredibely, I had to leave the hostal. She kept yelling and menacing with calling security. The rest of the staff smiled and asked me to leave. Finally, she handed over my passport (they kept them) and when she realized I was from Chile she said something like "oh, of course, you are latin american". No comments.

I am a non-violent guy who was in Amsterdam to give a short course at the university, and this is one of the more violent and incomprehensible things I've suffer from a receptionist in my life. During my other three days there I saw the staff yelling at people frequently, but I though they were just tired of these stoned people doing crazy things. Now I think it is just because The Bulldog is such a well-known place that they know they will always have people eager to check-in. I don't advise this place to anyone (plus, the showers are quite smelly).