Membury Services, between J14 & J15, M4 Review

Guest's review of Membury Services, between J14 and J15, M4

“I recently needed to meet my wife who was coming from...”

Written on: 03/10/2010

I recently needed to meet my wife who was coming from Belgium travelling on a coach along the west carriage way. I had to come along the east carriageway. We arranged to meet at Membury because there is a footbridge over the motorway. I expected to find signs to the the footbridge: there were none at all - and not on the otherside of the motorway. It was dark. I went into service area and asked members of staff,but they were foreign and did not understand the meaning of the word 'bridge'. Eventually I found a man who showed me the way. We had to follow a complicated route without sineage. Out side of the building it was very dark. The footpath goes through a thicket of trees and is unlit. You had to feel your way around a corner to get onto the bridge. I am 75 and my wife is 72. We both felt this was a poorly designed and poorly maintained public facility. It is dangerous. It is an accident waiting to happen. Michael Faraway

• early october 2010

Date of visit?

Johnwataboy's Comment

Written on: 18/06/2013

With respect, I really don't think that you should be crossing motorway bridges in the dark and at that time of night. You should have chosen a different meeting place. As for asking the staff about 'BRIDGE' then the English language being what it is, they may have thought that you were asking them if they would like to have a game of cards with you.