HSBC Student Account Review

HSBC Student Account
1.7

• Overdraft Facility

Guest's review of HSBC Student Account

“I'd been a current account holder with HSBC for...”

written by on 30/09/2010

I'd been a current account holder with HSBC for roughly 4/5 years before starting university and thought I may as well stick with them for my Student Account.

Big mistake, at first they seemed alright that was until I tried to get some straight answers from them regarding my own account.

Towards the end of last semester I needed to increase my overdraft and wanted to increase it from £750 to £1000 still within my allowed maximum for a first year student, this is where I ran into problems. I went into the Oxford branch and asked if I could speak to anyone about it, I was told I'd have to use the phone and I could use the one in the store, fine I thought and used the phone. On the phone they told me I'd have to talk to someone in store but seeing as I was a Student Account holder I'd have to be 'invited' to speak about it.

Now I can assure you I was none too happy about having to be invited to speak about my own account, an account they happily divulged information about to my parents despite me being 19 at the time. I'm now a second year student and after being told when signing up that my overdraft could be increased for my second year I have yet to hear anything other than my overdraft expires on the 24th December this year.

This is most worrying to hear especially as I can't speak to anyone about rectifying this, needless to say I'm now looking elsewhere for my student account.

• Overdraft Facility

Fabiat.'s Comment

Written on: 12/02/2013

I have the same problem, i wanted to get a house with friends so tried to extend mine to £1000 from £750 and they wouldnt let me, i still don't know why but their online banking is also confusing. SICK of this :(