Parsun 9.8hp Four Stroke Review

Guest's review of Parsun 9.8hp Four Stroke

“Further update to my review of 30 June 2010. Engine...”

Written on: 19/08/2010

Further update to my review of 30 June 2010. Engine has failed again, apparently with the same problem of fouled carb jets resulting in back firing and gradually reducing power. It's loaded on a pallet waiting for collection by Bill Higham for further repairs.

The engine has been used for over a month now. There is already corrosion starting on the tip of the skeg although the engine hasn't touched bottom. I have noticed that the hex head screws securing the powerhead to the drive housing appear to be carbon steel rather than stainless as they are heavily rusted now.

Hopefully the engine will come back in working order, as a new engine should, but this has been a disappointing season. My opinion is that this engine will not prove very durable for use in salt water. Perhaps there are those who have had good service from these engines, but this one is a disappointment so far.

Lucky-Phil's Comment

Written on: 26/04/2019

Same with my Suzuki and Evinrude, even my lawnmower. I use an extra filter that I use in line because modern fuels with ethanol can attract water. Takes about 10 minutes to fix yourself. Have you tried a different service station for fuel.