Olympus OM4ti Review

• Photograph Quality

Hudson Hawk's review of Olympus OM4ti

“I owned one, an OM4 way back and loved it. It rang all...”

Written on: 22/07/2010 by Hudson Hawk (8 reviews written)

I owned one, an OM4 way back and loved it. It rang all the bells and pulled all the right whistles. I was out on one awful stormy day taking shots on the moors and dropped on a large rock and it bounced into a muddy puddle as I was getting back into the car...totally messed it up, smashed the viewfinder etc. :-( I got a quote for a fix, had it repaired but then got sucked into the autofocus thing and traded for a Canon EOS. Yes i loved that camera also but.... I missed the compact design of the OM and its simple beauty. The functions were easy to use and the lenses magnificent... I progressed through many cameras all auto focus and now all digital and almost all Canon. Then I realised I wasn't spending so much time on set up therefore less self satifaction even if the results were good.

We all love new technology and what the future will bring but and this is a big but! some of us liked things just the way they were. I believe some of us prefer 'photography' as it was. I am not saying there is no skill in digital, but I defy anyone to tell me the results are as good as film in many respects.

Some of the fun has gone out of photography. Anyone can pick up a camera these days and point and shoot and get lucky.

Anyway I digress...

I now have an OM4ti and love it to bits! Still got all my other cameras but the OM is treasured above all others.

A real crime that Olympus didn't carry on what they were good at instead of trying to be clever with those awful autofocus products they produced

Strengths:

Compact, Lovely design, simple and excellent handling, awsome metering functions

Weaknesses:

an off switch, however if switch to bulb... that helps. no mirror lock unless on timer