National Extension College - Pre July 2010 Review

tiger14's review of National Extension College - Pre July 2010

“I am not pleased with the NEC at all! my tutor is...”

Written on: 19/07/2010 by tiger14 (1 review written)

I am not pleased with the NEC at all! my tutor is unhelpful, I've been misguided regarding marking coursework and she didn't even read it properly.

She said things needed doing to it that had been done! You only get two chances for your tutor to mark your work and on the second time you have to submit it regardless. She told me to send it in one go then I realised I'd missed out on her marking each part individually (less work for her).

What's more I told the NEC that I wasn't submitting my coursework this year twice before the cut-off date then they said they didn't know and I would have to pay another £40 per submission of coursework and I think there are 3 altogether that's another £120 on top of the £350 I spent on the course. I am thoroughly unsatisfied and will never do a course with them again, also I will make sure people know how useless they are!

Nec_Student_Support_Team's Response to tiger14's Review

Written on: 13/09/2011

Dear Tiger14,

I am a member of the student support team at NEC and I am really disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the service that you have received from us.

It is difficult to provide specific comments, given that I am unaware which course you were enrolled on, however, where a course has coursework as part of the assessment we provide a comprehensive coursework guide which walks students through the process of submitting coursework, including the number of opportunities for feedback you have. It also explains that tutors are limited by awarding body rules to the amount of feedback that can be given, as coursework is designed to be an accurate reflection of the students’ own work.

Tutors will only tell students to send the work all at once if there is not going to be enough time to give feedback and make the amendments in time for the deadline. NEC tutors are freelance and it is not in their interest in asking students to submit the work together as this means that they will actually be paid less.

With regards to submitting your coursework, I am confused as to what additional costs you are referring to. Where coursework is concerned, NEC mark and authenticate work for some subjects, however, the cost of this is included within the course and there is no additional charge for this.

We also make entries directly with the awarding body for all GCSEs that we now offer with coursework. We took the decision to do this ourselves to give our students a better service, as exam centres were often not willing to take responsibility for coursework.

The cost of NEC making the entries for GCSE is included in the course fee. The only exception where we would charge a student would be if they asked us to make the entry beyond the awarding body deadline and late fees were incurred (we would simply pass this fee on), or where the entry had been made in a previous session and withdrawn. Even in these circumstances the maximum charge to make the entry would be £40.

I am sorry that this information was unclear to you at any point.

Kind regards,