Greek Sails Poros, Greece Review

Guest's review of Greek Sails Poros, Greece

“We have had three wonderful holidays with Greek Sails...”

Written on: 11/06/2010

We have had three wonderful holidays with Greek Sails and will shortly be back for a fourth time.

First time it was a last minute arrangement because another trip my wife had organised for me as a birthday present was cancelled at the last minute. So this was pot luck, but what luck I had!

My first trip was to complete an RYA Competent Crew course at their sailing school. There may be no tide in the Med, but I can tell you, as a way to start sailing, it beats learning in the UK. 5 day course spread over 6 day, sun, extra time, midday swims, warm evenings in tavernas with a cold beer. What an introduction to sailing!

My first trip was so good my wife insisted we go back the following year as the stories and pictures were too much for her to not experience too. Unusually Greek Sails allowed us to charter for an odd number of days. While everyone else was saying, 'Sat-Sat' only, they were happy for us to take a boat for (I think) 10 days, with no hefty penalty.

The boat was spotless and in good order although we did have problems with the outboard. On reporting that, we immediately got the cost of the outboard back plus our fuel for the 10 days paid for us as an apology. No questions, just apologies for the engine not being up to scratch. What nice people to deal with!

So 2009 we went back again. Lots of help and advice on where to go, how to get there, everything really. They even gave my wife advice on a suitable boating Christmas present for me! Spotless boat again. Wonderful holiday.

Some friends also went in 2009 after asking for a recommendation and came back saying the same; spotless boat, wonderful tuition (I think they took a private charter and 3 or 4 did a Comp Crew during the week), very friendly people. So there's an option...RYA course without having to join a course, just charter a boat and take and instructor/skipper with you and learn while the rest of the family enjoy the holiday.

I'm sure others know of wonderful companies too, but all I can say is I can vouch that this is a great little company to deal with. They're an Anglo-Greek family and so their English is impeccable...bet you'll never know they consider themselves Greek when you speak to them. In fact it's a bit of a shock to hear them turn around and speak Greek as their English is that good!

And the waters around Poros, especially to the SW into the Argolic are quiet even in Jul when we've been. If you want loud harbours and discos, go some place else. If you want to find quiet anchorages and the most wonderful small harbours, this is the place to go. Plus you can visit stunning remains at Mycenae, Monemvasia, Navplion and other spots.

But beware...Hydra gets very popular as does Spetses, so guess where we keep away from, and Port Heli, while a wonderful natural anchorage, is not a lovely place to start and end your holiday.

Poros on the other hand...where Greek Sails is based...is an enchanting place described by Heikell as a Greek Venice. Need I say more? :-)

Go enjoy...

Lgreg's Comment

Written on: 05/04/2013

Great to hear you enjoyed Greek Sails and Poros Yachting Academy tuition so much! Still going strong despite all the bad news from Greece!