Fuji Finepix S5500 Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

Tr1xx's review of Fuji Finepix S5500

“I'm an architect. Our office Fuji S5500 has incredibly...”

Written on: 30/03/2010 by Tr1xx (7 reviews written)

I'm an architect. Our office Fuji S5500 has incredibly now taken 18,000 shots since April 2005 and is still going strong. That means it's incredibly reliable and robust... it's had to be. It feels great, it has a great zoom. Photos generally are as good as you might expect. Switch-on and shutter lag delay times are OK for cameras of the era, but not as good as I would prefer. In auto mode it's quick and easy to use, but manual settings are fiddly and you'll forget how to use them if you don't use them often. Downsides: The main selection dial can be moved too freely. Photos of dark objects against a white sky will diplay colour fringing. The autofocus struggles in dark situations. The flash is not as powerful as I would like. the rear display is rather small. It can eat batteries, (make sure you carry spare rechargeables). Overall however, I just love this camera.

Tr1Xx's Response to Tr1xx's Review

Written on: 16/11/2011

Update 16 Nov. 2011.
We're now up to image number #21,150 in the six and a half years since it was first used . . . I didn't know they still made cameras that could last like this. The picture quality is still just as good too. Incidentally, (should have mentioned this before), I strongly recommend that you ALWAYS keep the lens hood in place. This has almost certainly been the main reason the camera has lasted so long. Pity that rechargeable batteries don't seem to last quite as well.

Tr1Xx's reply to Tr1Xx's Comment

Written on: 24/09/2013

It had to happen. After over 33000 photos our reliable old Fuji S5500 has given up the ghost. To be more precise, it is virtually unusable due to a minor breakage. the battery compartment door has a small lug that enages on the camera body; the lug has sheared off. If anyone can help, it could be put back into service, but otherwise it will be languishing in a drawer.

It has led a good life, and I never expected it to survive this long. I will miss it.