Epiphone Les Paul Studio Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

paulenew's review of Epiphone Les Paul Studio

“Epiphone LP Studio in Chameleon paint. I love this...”

Written on: 16/02/2010 by paulenew (36 reviews written)

Epiphone LP Studio in Chameleon paint. I love this guitar, probably gets more playtime than anything in my collection. Set neck, flawless paint finish. Slightly dodgy fretboard, not in terms of manufacture, just the wood isn't great quality. Still, does the job well.Slight fret buzz on the low E 14th Fret was the only problem out of the box, very quickly & easily fixed.

Decent output levels from the standard Epi pickups, but played raw into an amp they are a little muddy compared directly to my Burny JLP-50. I haven't felt any need to mess with the wiring, so I can't comment on whether the very slightly flat tone is down to electrics or the pups themselves.

I now play this through a Boss GT-10 into a Peavey ValveKing, and to be honest the incredible (and nearly endless) range of tones available from the GT-10 render my concerns about the tone irrelevant - it just sounds superb. Action is exceptionally low and buzz-free, and the sustain is good - I play anything from Blues through Surf to Rise Against/Offspring and this guitar handles it all very nicely.

Overall, I reckon there's not a lot of better value guitars out there.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Intermediate

Reviewer's Musical Standard