Toshiba PDR-M4 Review

• Image Quality

Randy Sherry.'s review of Toshiba PDR-M4

“I purchased this Camera from IQVC in Feb 2000. The...”

Written on: 17/11/2000 by Randy Sherry. (1 review written)

Great outdoor pictures, easy operation and navigation, classic looking camera design.

Horrible indoor shots, flash is horrible, tech support is horrible, parts availability is horrible. See my comments about the problems that I have had with this camera.

General Comments
I purchased this Camera from IQVC in Feb 2000. The first thing I noticed was the software is a demo of an imaging software that I have never heard of, the software is Pathetic and limited until you purchase the full version. Second thing I noticed was the first time I had to cgarhe the battery IT TOOK 8 HOURS. Finally I was able to take some pictures. I have to say that the photos taken outside came out really well, great colors no crystalization, really great pictures, however if you plan to have this camera take indoor pictures get a disposable camera, really really bad indoors. The lcd screen is really great, the USB transfer is really really fast, the shot delay is very fast, the camera is really easy to operate. NOW THE BIG PROBLEM... 3 weeks after I received the camera the DIAL at the top for switching modes jumped out of its socket and would not go back in, so I sent the camera to a TOSHIBA AUTHORIZED SERVICE PROVIDER and this is where the fun began. 1st of all the replacement parts we not in stock at any of the service centers, I received the camera back 52 days later. When I received it all was fine except 2 screws were missing from the unit. All was fine and dandy until November 2nd when once again the dial jumped out of the socket. I bought a nice and expensive camera case to protect it. I called Toshiba and left a message, I emailed Toshiba requesting and EXPEDITED repair or full refund, I never received a response. I called QVC without question they had no problem with me returning the camera which was bought almost a year ago. I sent it back and am awaiting a credit to my account so that i may purchase a different camera ... I talked to a service center about this problem he said that there is an ISSUE ALERT about this situation occurring. So does this mean that it is a flaw in the design?..

2231_Mike.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 22/05/2001

I have also encountered this mode dial problem with the toshiba pdr-m4. The first time, the company sent me a replacement; about 3 months after the replacement arrived, the same thing happened! I am now left with nothing more than a piece of useless hardware. Please let me know if anyone finds out how to get this repaired DIY since the camera is no longer under warranty and it costs too much to repair the dial. Cheers.

Honu.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 16/01/2003

Got the same problem, ask Toshiba for the part (in Europe) . the price is 105 Euros ... !!! Arrrgghhh .... near 85 $
But you can bought these part from :
http://www.partsolver.com/ for near 25 $
I will never bought something else from Toshiba.
David.

57631_Gmcmen.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 13/12/2002

Is it an easy job to fit the dial yourself?
Is it all one piece including the plastic circut bit?

Goldspk.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 03/12/2002

Won't take pictures! Button can be pushed but nothing happens. Battery is OK, 128mg card is new. HELP PLEASE goldspk@hotmail.com

40241_James.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 28/09/2002

The camera was a lemon. The mode dial popping off is a common problem. Toshiba could care less which is fine with me because the PDR-M4 is the first and LAST Toshiba product I will ever buy.

20763_Tim Wittwer.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 22/04/2002

Toshiba replacement knob (part # 23445460 )available at:
<br>(800)938-4376 and (800)527-7835 $26.69 + $7.95 = $34.64

Bctech.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 28/01/2002

I had the PDR-M4 for 2 years and a couple of months before the dial broke, the camera took decent pictures and I enjoyed it. What irritates me is that there is a design flaw. Toshiba should live up to it and offer to either fix or replace these cameras with different units.

5099_Gene.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 20/10/2001

I don't agree with the review. I have taken countless pictures indoors, and have had people "rave" about how well the pictures turned out. I have never had any problem with the dial switch, and yes the battery took a long time to charge, I suppose. I just let it charge overnight, and it was ready the next day. I have upgraded to more memory with the "smart media" cards and am enjoying the use of the camera. Very easy to use.