Skoda Roomster 2 1.6 16V 105bhp Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Batesrich's review of Skoda Roomster 2 1.6 16V 105bhp

“Although they give economy I did not want a diesel as...”

Written on: 30/11/2009 by Batesrich (32 reviews written)

Although they give economy I did not want a diesel as I have heard too many stories of the smoke (diesel particulate) filters going wrong and being expensive to put right. No one seems to have got this right yet and we really only do local pottering a lot of the time so petrol it is. I do want space, adaptability and a reasonable amount of oomph. I originally took a serious look at the Berlingo and Doblo but neither have petrol engines which enable one to get a move on when needed. Current vehicle is a Meriva which has been OK-ish but had faults which really shouldn't happen on a modern car.

No, I do not care what it looks like, far more important is does it do the job at a reasonable cost? If you have an ego problem (like my brother) which constantly gets in the way of you making rational decisions, all I can say is you have my every sympathy but I am no longer that stupid.

At the dealer's suggestion I tried the 1.4 16v - fine for old dears, etc., but it didn't take me long to realise that I wanted just a tad more "shove" so finally went for the 1.6 which does 0-60 in a quite respectable 11 secs - significantly better than the Dob or Berlingo. The driving position is great and feels "cosy" but also rear seat riders have said that they feel "comfy" too.

Didn't really want air-conditioning - a waste of money in this country but comes as standard, I will probably never turn it on.

As you might imagine, what finally did it for me is that I can take the seats out and I have a van big enough to carry a fridge. Some folk say the seats are a bit heavy but they must be wimps, if I can move them easily enough at age 66. This vehicle is "best of the bunch" at present and I will keep it for at least ten years I suspect. Some of the "pro" reviewers need new thinking heads in my opinion as they have marked it down for stupid irrelevancies like "plastics and appearance not to my taste" but good old Jeremy Clarkson has got it right.

• 2009

• Practicality

• Reliability

Batesrich's Response to Batesrich's Review

Written on: 16/06/2011

OK folks it is now 18 months old, probably pretty well run in at 11,000 miles, well the engine feels zippier anyway. It has been utterly reliable; well what else did you expect? I should comment that the suspension is a bit on the hard side but I prefer it so as goes round bends an awful lot better than the Vauxhall Meriva which it replaced.
That's it folks, don't worry about the appearance, you'll soon get used to it and it's an altogether better motor than the Meriva or Focus.
Batesrich