Dead Space (Xbox 360) Review

• Addiction Level

• Graphics

Cognition's review of Dead Space (Xbox 360)

“My scoring here is rough but basically Dead Space is...”

Written on: 15/11/2009 by Cognition (90 reviews written)

My scoring here is rough but basically Dead Space is one of the best games around, if not the best in this genre. I've been playing it a lot over the last couple of weeks since I got it, and now that I've completed it I'm looking for something else that's as good as this in the sci-fi genre but can't find anything that can touch this game.

I have it on XBOX 360 and I would imagine with a good PC (unlike mine which is packing up) this game could be a little bit better aside from the keyboard controls.

The storyline is clever and interesting and it's up to you (the player) to piece it together as you play through the levels - you do this by collecting audio and text logs which are scattered about, amongst other things. These record what happened on the UGS Ishimura (the ship) before your arrival. Perhaps better than the story is the design of this game. The atmosphere feels tense, with good use of lighting, shadow and also the movement of light. The sound has also been very well executed.

Complete the game on any difficulty to get a nice surprise for the next time you decide to play - just load your "cleared game" or "game cleared" save file - you will also unlock impossible mode.

The summerise: Dead Space may well be the best sci-fi/horror game that's out at the moment. It's clever, genuinely creepy/uneasy and can make you jump from time to time. Design is excellent but story is a bit drawn-out in my opinion. I can't wait for the sequel!

• Graphics