Volkswagen Polo 1.4TDI Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Guest's review of Volkswagen Polo 1.4TDI

“My Polo Dune 1.4TDI recently went in for its first oil...”

Written on: 31/10/2009

My Polo Dune 1.4TDI recently went in for its first oil change on long life servicing. I was astounded and upset to find that immediately after the oil change the oil was still a filthy black colour; full of carboniferous contamination. I complained and the oil was changed for a second time in my full view. The Main VW dealer said they only follow VW Germany instructions on servicing. We have all seen the TV addvertisements about how superior VW cars are in build and manufacture. I would have thought it was a 'no-brainer' that customers rightly expect a clean, honey coloured oil immediately after an oil change; having paid £200.00 for an oil change that takes about 15 minutes; that's right I witnessed this myself!

• 2007

• Practicality

• Reliability

Burl's Comment

Written on: 08/04/2010

All diesel engines turn the oil black within seconds of starting the engine. No diesel will have clean oil once the engine has been started, this is just a fact of life. I have serviced my own cars for years, and have currently got 4 diesels - even when I change the oil myself and put lovely golden stuff in, after running the engine 20 seconds to fill up the filter and dip for a level check, the oil is black - so don't blame the dealer who serviced your car for something they couldn't have helped. Bet you've never owned a diesel before, right? With petrol engines you can expect golden oil for thousands of miles after a change - with diesels, forget it.