Garmin nuvi 250 Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

telsreviews's review of Garmin nuvi 250

“The sad thing is the garmin nuvi is a great looking...”

Written on: 04/08/2009 by telsreviews (6 reviews written)

The sad thing is the garmin nuvi is a great looking little unit. I like the size, the weight, it was easy to use and looked great on the windscreen. Unfortunately the mapping, among many other things, was horrendous!

- the map routing left me with serious doubts. I drove on roads that I'm not even sure were fit for cars. I now see where all the stupid 'I nearly drove off a cliff in the dead of night' stories come from.

- the verbal instructions weren't timely enough (either too late or too early). It would also tell me to turn left/right at natural bends in the same road - very confusing!

- the layout of the on-screen map (in 3d mode) wasn't acurate at showing the road layout ahead. If there was a sharp bend ahead the map barely showed any curvature.

- the estimated time of arrival was seriously incorrect and just updated all the time. What appeared to be a 45 minute journey could end up nearly two hours! I never trusted it and had to assess the journey myself by miles.

- if it needed to recalculate a route it would send me around-the-houses instead of just telling me to turn around where possible.

I've realised I could just keep going but what I'm really trying to say is AVOID, AVOID, AVOID and get a TomTom ONE with IQ routes. It's fantastic! I have every confidence it's ability to get me absolutely anywhere. It's everything the Nuvi should be.

• europe