Khyam Chatsworth Review

• Easy to erect?

• Durability

• Comfort

mandymermaid's review of Khyam Chatsworth

“I didn't click any stars at first, but that wasn't...”

Written on: 28/07/2009 by mandymermaid (1 review written)

I didn't click any stars at first, but that wasn't acceptable! I actually don't believe it to be worth any stars.

I had a Kyam XL tent for 9 years and it stood up to everything the weather had to throw at it. Minor problems on the bedroom corner, but otherwise great. I bought the Chatsworth last year,as I liked the thought of an inbuilt groundsheet. The first time I used it was fine. There was a little rain, but all went well. The second time there was heavy rain and the bedroom pole bent, allowing water to pool and then drip into the tent. I contacted the supplier, who suggested a) storm damage (no storm), b)someone had fallen on it (no) or 3) it's only a summer tent (it was summer and the tent was expensive). The supplier agreed to send me a new pole, which I was reluctant to accept, but did so on the proviso that they would do something about it if the same thing happened this year. I have just returned from a camping trip and the same thing happened after a mere 15 minutes of rain. After looking at all the other tents on the field, we realised that the straight pole on the bedroom was a basic design fault - there was no gap in the pole sleeve, so water quickly accumulated and pooled, weighing down on the straight pole, which then bent. I wrote a letter last year, saying the tent was not fir for purpose, so have since emailed the comapny again to see what they are prepared to do.

• 4

Berth

• Easy to erect?

• Durability

Antony5378's Response to mandymermaid's Review

Written on: 11/03/2010

This exact same thing happened with my tent. The ceiling in the bedroom compartment was almost touching my nose it was holding that much water. Then i realised i'd made a big mistake. The pole which crosses the bedroom should be in tension (if it looks straight you've got it positioned wrong). By which i mean there should be an arch over the bedroom, if you haven't got this rotate the pole, it should be quite difficult to get into position.

Guest's Response to mandymermaid's Review

Written on: 26/06/2012

I have had the same problem as discussed her. The bedroom pole is meant to be arche d under tension with the hinged joints turned back on themselves and under unnatural stress, I have had numerous breaks in these joints on windy days and carry spares, The joint breaks at the highest stress point adjacent to the end of the inserted aluminium tube.
Funnily enough the earlier model of the tenthas a different arrangement here and is fine. I was camped alongside one the last time ours broke in a Force 5 strong breeze.

Guest's Response to mandymermaid's Review

Written on: 09/08/2011

Antony is right the bedroom pole should be in tension i.e. bowed outwards. However to do this you have to have the joints the otherway, this puts a lot of tension on the joints and if its windy they WILL snap. So really you're stuck either way. We have had ours for three years now, its OK having learned that keeping the poles in tension snaps the joints we have the bedroon cross poles horizontal instead. The joints are fine and luckily we have not had problems with the poles bending in heavy rain. Interstingly every time I see a Chatsworth when I'm camping I ask the owners if they have had any problems - and this problem comes up every time. I am amazed the manufacturers have not addressed this fundamental design flaw yet.