Stagg Piccolo Trumpet 77-TP SL Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Hereward9's review of Stagg Piccolo Trumpet 77-TP SL

“I purchased the silver plated version of the Stagg...”

Written on: 24/07/2009 by Hereward9 (1 review written)

I purchased the silver plated version of the Stagg 77-TP piccolo trumpet(SL). I bought the instrument brand new from a seller in Germany through eBay for about £320. After paying and before it arrived, I had second thoughts. I was sent a detailed email with graphs illustrating how well the instrument performed compared to a new Selmer piccolo trumpet. The email described how the Stagg representative was very proud of their piccolo trumpet.

The instrument looks great and feels excellent to hold. It actually tunes quite easily and has B flat and A pipes that are trumpet shank. Many piccolo trumpets such as the Schilke P5-4 come standardly with cornet shank pipes.

I play a full repetoire of Handel, Albinoni, Valentini etc. on the instrument. It produces a very pure tone. On the trumpet, it says that the instrument is designed in Europe and hand-crafted in China. This conforms with what the representative told me, stating that the production in China is under German supervision.

This piccolo trumpet is of the same quality of a professional grade piccolo trumpet 8 times more expensive such as the Schilke P5-4 and the Yamaha YTR 9830. The valves are monet and work superbly. Unfortunately, there is little evidence out there on just how good this trumpet is, hence why I have done this review.

The trumpet does not have any water keys. I have found it quite easy to drain water by tipping the instrument and blowing opening the first valve tube connection. I do believe that not having water keys keeps the instrument at a better pressure and was designed for this reason. All in all, it really means very easy maintenance without the need of servicing of water keys.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard