Renault Laguna Sport Tourer 1.9dci 120 Dynamique Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Guest's review of Renault Laguna Sport Tourer 1.9dci 120 Dynamique

“Bought second hand at approx 50k miles. Renault's...”

Written on: 10/07/2009

Possibly the only truly comfortable car I could afford.
Excellent engine.
Having dealt with the niggles the dealer wouldn't, the car has given me no trouble for the last 50000 miles. It's just passed 100k and the back axle rubbers are getting a bit dodgy and the air-con has given up.

Poor after-sales.

Design flaws in suspension, braking and steering.

Incredibly stupid ignition key-card thing. It's too fat for your wallet, not strong enough for your pocket and no hole to hang it on a keyring
Silly low profile tyres in an awkward size that wear out in half the mileage I used to get in my old cars.

Unnecessary alloy wheels, but all the makers inflict them on us nowadays. WHY??? They are heavier than pressed steel, and combined with the silly tyres, make a body cringe every time there's a pebble in the road.

General Comments
Bought second hand at approx 50k miles. Renault's after sales service was inadequate and incompetent
They said they changed a track rod when I complained the car was unsafe to drive, but I couldn't tell the difference afterwards.
Having palmed me off till the warranty expired, R then invited me to spend lots of money replacing "warped" brake disks (which are still perfectly true 40000miles later) when the real problem was a buckled wheel (which they had switched to the rear when I complained about the steering shaking) and siezed calipers along with a worn drive-shaft and the worst worn bottom ball joint I have ever seen.
It stayed dangerous till I changed the bottom ball joints and driveshaft myself. Interesting that Renault themselves had issued an MoT certificate two weeks before I did this. If I were the confrontational type, I'd take them to Trading Standards but I'd sooner tell all my mates to steer clear and hopefully deprive them of some custom.
Oh, and the exhaust (good as new otherwise) broke in the middle because it was fitted with lots of tension on the mountings. I realigned it a bit to relieve the strain and welded it up (off the car at the time!!!) and it's been fine ever since.
It's just passed 100k and the back axle rubbers are getting a bit dodgy (but they were never perfect) and the air-con has given up.

• 2004