National Extension College - Pre July 2010 Review

johnching1's review of National Extension College - Pre July 2010

“As a home educator for my daughter, I enrolled her on...”

Written on: 13/06/2009 by johnching1 (1 review written)

Good structured notes.

More books required over and above the folder.
Tutor seemed unsuitable for the role.
Exam centres...........forget it!!!! (unless you live in Cambridge!)

General Comments
As a home educator for my daughter, I enrolled her on a short GCSE ICT course with the NEC. As expected, we had to buy more books over and above the NEC folder. All seemed well 'til we 'spoke' to the tutor who, although obviously never met in person, seemed a 'typical' grumpy elderly schoolteacher! His written comments for the two assignments my daughter did were, apart from the numerous spelling mistakes, were hardly positive or helpful, just a list of what 'should' have been included. More 'positives' wouldn't have gone amiss for the excellent work she submitted. This was nothing 'til I endeavoured to find an exam centre for the course. The NEC list of centres was hopelessly out of date; some establishments 'withdrew' ther NEC interest years ago!!!!! We were offered a centre next to NEC, but for a one hour exam (x2) having a 200 mile round trip each time hardly seemed worth it. It seems that NEC have got so big, a lot of customer care has sadly been lost. We too, went to a similiar company in Oxford; much better customer service and exam centres, no problem. The exams officer at the centre we chose, as soon as we mentioned the Oxford company, had no hesitation in accepting my daughter as a candidate.

Naomied84's Response to 466676_johnching1's Review

Written on: 12/10/2009

Could you possibly tell me the company in Oxford that you went through in instead?
<br/>I am trying to find a good distance learning provider for an A-Level in English Literature and all reviews are very mixed.
<br/>
<br/>Many Thanks.

Nec_Student_Support_Team's Response to 466676_johnching1's Review

Written on: 13/09/2011

Dear Johnching1,

I am a member of the student support team at NEC and I am really disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the NEC ICT course you purchased for your daughter.

All NEC courses are written in house by our publishing department to the best specification available to distance learners. The course materials in most cases provide everything the student needs to complete the course, unless otherwise specified.

I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your daughter’s tutors teaching style. We have a broad range of tutors with different teaching styles, some which may suit different students better. We are always happy to provide an alternative tutor when requested. However, I am concerned about your reference to spelling errors, which is unacceptable.

The GCSE ICT course is particularly coursework heavy, and because the list of criteria for coursework, feedback can be very prescriptive. Tutors are allowed to give very limited feedback for coursework and are often cautious of being too encouraging where they feel this may mislead the student in terms of their grade.

With regards to finding an examination centre, NEC students have two options. Either student’s can find an exams centre independently, or alternatively, they can sit exams through NEC. Finding an exam centre locally varies in ease depending on where abouts you are in the country. As mentioned in your feedback, we do have a list of potential exam centres that have hosted exams for NEC students in the past. We try to keep this as updated as possible, however, this varies hugely and we provide this as a guide only.

Because we understand that finding an exams centre can be challenging, we have now expanded our range of partnership exam centres, and currently have three centres in Cambridge, County Durham and Reading where we can guarantee students a place to sit their exams. Due to popular demand we will also be expanding this provision further and hope to offer a nationwide service within 18 months.

Kind regards,