Joan Baez, Diamonds & Rust Review

From 1 review

Steward911's review of Joan Baez, Diamonds and Rust

“Although this song is old and snotty enough for a...”

Written on: 27/05/2009 by Steward911 (4 reviews written)

Although this song is old and snotty enough for a mature well-educated man(especially for super-non-nostalgic people), I'm fascinated by it - just as well as I'm fascinated by true poetry written by truly talented people from the bottom of their hearts. 'Diamonds and Rust' is a mixture of a certain woman's memories about a certain legendary man (we all know Joan Baez wrote it about Bob Dylan no matter how amusingly funny she used to deny it).

I liked the fact that this song is one's personal interpretation of special memories, of their concept in general. Our best memories are indeed, diamonds and rust, lock without a key, something we cherish dearly, something we connect our rawest emotions with.

The song is, definitely, about a very difficult relationship - these gifted freaks are simply beyond simplicity. The only reason why I may view 'Diamonds and Rust' as something close to perfection is because absolute perfection is B.Dylan's prerogative...

The song is spiritually powerful, I advise it to anyone who wants to 'upgrade' their spiritual and emotional horizons.

• Bob Dylan