Fuji Finepix 2400 Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

John.'s review of Fuji Finepix 2400

“I recently bought my Fuji Finepix 2400 camera 'used'...”

Written on: 26/01/2002 by John. (1 review written)

Very affordable now that it's discontinued; comes with reputable software; good features for what is essentially a point-and-shoot camera; pictures at least on par with the rest at this price.

Picture quality well below what you would expect from a similarly-priced compact or SLR; poor LCD; really needs dedicated mains adaptor or rechargables to keep on top of the high battery drain.

General Comments
I recently bought my Fuji Finepix 2400 camera 'used' (actually, I think it was shop-soiled, but that's a different story) for a very reasonable price. I bought it specifically so that I can take periodic snaps of my soon-to-be-born twins and e-mail them to far-flung relatives without having to wait before I finish the film in my 'real' cameras. For that purpose, it's ideal. But if I'd just dropped 350 UKP on it to use as a main camera in preference to a 35mm-compact or even a low-end SLR (as many will have done, not much more than twelve months ago), I think I would have been disappointed.

Some weaknesses that other reviewers have pointed out are easily sorted. High battery drain? Buy yourself some NiMH rechargables. LCD screen useless in sunlight? Use the viewfinder: that's why it's there!

My biggest problems I think revolve around getting used to the various idiosyncrasies of (affordable) digital cameras that don't occur with film. For example, pictures containing areas of sudden contrast (say where the roof of a house meets a bright sky) always have a row of light-coloured pixels where the two areas meet. This sometimes sticks out like a sore thumb. Friends who are more experienced than myself with digital cameras confirm that this is a common failing, not easily addressed unless you're willing to spend the price of a good used car on a digital SLR.

Specific foibles of this camera that I don't like include its inability to save photos in any form of uncompressed mode; instead, three levels of JPG compression are offered, but even the most merciful JPG compression is going to loose some irreplaceable detail. And you can't afford to loose much when your maximum resolution is only 1600x1200 pixels! Neither do I care for how it insists on having the LCD panel switched on when the camera is hooked up to my PC with the USB cable. It's not like it displays anything useful; just the letters "USB", wasting valuable battery power. I could always drop another 35 UKP on the mains adaptor. Thanks, Fuji, for equipping the camera with a power-socket that few third-party (read 'cheaper') mains adaptors will fit. Very thoughtful of you. Not.

Don't get me wrong: I do like this camera. The software it comes with (PhotoDeluxe 4) is very capable and retails for £40 on its own. Unusually for a camera that is very much P&S, it also has an exposure-compensation feature that many compact 35mm cameras at this price lack, and the LCD screen takes the guesswork out of getting your exposures just right.

But, the bottom line is that the ultimate picture quality is not on par with what traditional compacts and SLRs at this price can offer. If you feel that the drop in ultimate quality is compensated by the undeniable convenience of having a digital camera then go ahead and buy it, or one of its many equally-specified contemporaries. But DON'T expect 35mm quality; you won't get it.

• Image Quality