Stonehenge, Wiltshire Review

Guest's review of Stonehenge, Wiltshire

“What have they done?! ”

Written on: 05/04/2009

The henge itself.

The whole tacky, visually insensitive treatment; the inability to go anywhere near the stones, let alone touch them. It's a ghastly, ghastly mess and whoever was responsible should hang their heads in shame. I am a million miles from having any New Age or druidical agenda, being a rationalist and atheist, but beauty is hard to achieve and very, very easy to corrupt.

General Comments
What have they done?!

I first saw Stonehenge about 40 years ago when we were first married. We parked the car (no pay car parks then. In fact, no car parks at all!) at the side of the road on a misty, misty day. We had to walk on a compass bearing across the field to find this wonderful place. Looming out of the mist as we advanced were the great stones, a few sheep, and no people... Of course you could touch the stones then, and walk around them and - well - do what you liked. I shall never forget it.

I am a NT member and could - if I wish - enter for nothing, but I simply didn't want to.

• 4/09

Date of visit (month/year)

• All ages

Ages suited for