Stihl MS270 Review

Guest's review of Stihl MS270

“We purchased this saw to replace a mcCullough that was...”

Written on: 12/03/2009

We purchased this saw to replace a mcCullough that was twenty years old. We had a severe storm that resulted in a large amount of trees down on our farm. Nobody wanted to use the old loud, short bar mcCullough. I had been fond of the saws i used at work so we purchased the Stihl. It is a good little saw and does its job well. I use the yellow dot chin ( I am not sure what it is officially called). If you are new to chainsaws use a low kickback chain not a yellow dot. The yellow dot cuts better and faster. We have an 18" bar on it and it handles it well. I love the balance of the saw it is fairly light weight and it has power. The 18" bar balances the saw out well. The only thing I do not like is the fuel consumption. If I am cutting I want to be cutting, not filling up the fuel tank. Th tank is not that small that it is a major problem but it is just an annoyance. If most of your work is 12"+ logs go with a larger saw. The MS270 will cut them no problem but it takes time. I would buy this saw again or possible go to a MS290 for more power.