The Lemon Tree, Colchester Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

wearedetectives's review of The Lemon Tree, Colchester

“The Lemon Tree, Colchester, had a nice environment +...”

Written on: 15/02/2009 by wearedetectives (1 review written)

The Lemon Tree, Colchester, had a nice environment + decor. Friendly waitress. My husband and I went here last night for a pre-theatre meal which just happened to be on Valentine's day. We decided to have the Valentine's menu as there wasn't much else to choose from. At £35 per head plus drinks etc, we expected a real treat but were disappointed. The welcome drink of prosecco was a nice touch but that was about it! Our tiger prawn starters were OK - 5 prawns served in a ramekin in a runny coconut and chilli sauce, strangely topped with breadcrumbs. Flavour OK but not really appropriate for eating with a knife and fork. My husband's lamb main was fatty and my chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce was a rather tough affair, served on a bed of not-creamy mushrooms which looked and tasted like they were out of a tin. As for the side dish of vegetables, there was one and a half new potatoes, a parsnip and a carrot to share - at best this lacked imagination; at worst it was taking the mickey. By the way, there was a £5 supplement per person if you wanted the steak - a bit cheeky if you've already bumped your prices up for Valentine's?! My lemon brulee dessert was inedible - had a funny metallic aftertaste. My husband's chocolate nemesis was hardly his enemy - a tiny portion served on a huge plate (but to be fair it did taste very chocolatey!) The waitress did offer us an alternative dessert for the lemon thing, but when we said no, there was no reduction on the bill. Everything was served in mega-quick time so we felt a bit rushed. Next year we will have our pre-theatre meal at home and will save enough cash for another pair of tickets for something!

• Modern European

Food Type

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Romantic/Couples