Philips 32PW9618 32 inch Review

From 1 review
  • Image Quality

• Sound Quality

riff7uk's review of Philips 32PW9618 32 inch

“If there was a Rolls Royce in the CRT TV World it is...”

Written on: 13/02/2009 by riff7uk (3 reviews written)

excellent picture
excellent sound
excellent features

needs 2 people to move it around

General Comments
If there was a Rolls Royce in the CRT TV World it is the Philips 32PW9618.

Many freeze frame types.

Many picture in picture types

Many built in sound settngs

Subtitles [on-off-on when muted]

Sleeptimer

ON timer

Child lock

Screen zoom

and many more superb features

When i first tried the TV it was far less impressive than i had hoped.

I thought the picture was over-colored and moving parts of the picture were smearing just as other reviews of similar Philips TV's have mentioned. Being a techno I was not phased at all, and determined to adjust settings for as long as necessary to get the best picture possible.

So here are the best settings for my TV after every conceivable tweak.

Click menu on remote - move right at the TV level of menu to Picture and move down the options one by one ...

Smart Picture:- Personal

Dynamic Contrast:- Minimum

DNR:- Minimum

Color Enhancement:- Off

Format:- Auto Format

I have left the TV with these settings for 3 years now.

I have 3 brothers with true HD tv's and they all made comment on how clear and realistic the picture is on my TV.

How much praise could you want ?

I don't have the wireless speakers so I cannot comment on surround sound quality but the TV speakers are excellent at sending deep bass and treble around the room (perhaps this is why i never needed to purchase surround speakers).

Get the TV with its superb base unit and wireless speakers and you are on a sure winner (keep the surround speakers off the floor to avoid interference apparently).

I marvel at the picture clarity every day, especially modern shows and films transmitted from satellite.

I won't need a true HD TV until this one packs in, and it has been floorless for over 3 years now.

For your information

A) the ONLY negative events I have witnessed are that my remote stopped interacting with the TV twice over the last 3 years. I simply switched the TV off at the mains and switched back on .... sorted !

With all the circuitry involved in this TV i was not surprised at this glitch.

B) use an RGB scart signal if possible

C) on my mult-plug board this TV uses only 1 light of a 5 light built in meter. This is only a third of the power used by the Toshiba 32" I had before.

Of all the purchases I have made over the years this is probably the most delightful, and that is not exaggeration.

• Image Quality

• Sound Quality

Leonardofirstborn's Response to riff7uk's Review

Written on: 26/09/2009

Thanks to the reviewer have had a set for a few years and have wanted to explore the various settings this is a superb guide to doing just this thanks a million I too think the set is a marvel and I am putting off buying a flat screen.

Kel....'s Response to riff7uk's Review

Written on: 04/01/2014

Good review and advice on settings.

I've got mine in the bedroom with the wireless surround speakers and it puts my plasma to shame. The sound quality is just as amazing as the picture.