Ed Macy, Apache Review

Mighty Lynx's review of Ed Macy, Apache

“I know the lads who were there at the Fort and I've...”

Written on: 22/12/2008 by Mighty Lynx (1 review written)

I know what actually went on and this book tells the whole truth.

I wish it was longer.

General Comments
I know the lads who were there at the Fort and I've been in Stan myself.

I was expecting to see a few exaggerations but it is totally truthful.

Ed describes the Apache in brilliant detail and it's easy to think you're in the machine with him (I even think I could fire all of the weapons too after reading it). The book was really good and made me feel like I was in his Sqn but then things changed about a third of the way through. All of a sudden it just took off and from that point onwards I became a saddo that couldn't and wouldn't put it down. It got faster and faster and more exhilarating with every page. I found myself worried and getting edgy before my wife burst my bubble and brought back to reality. Only then did I realise my heart rate was up and I was sweating. Dinner shovelled away I took the car out for a drive and came back at five in the morning. I only drove out of the street and parked up to get some peace to end the chapter but ended up finishing the book. What more can I say. Oh yeah, get some Kleenex too cause it will pull at your heart. This is without doubt the best account of air warfare I have ever read and that includes Rob Mason's Chickenhawk.

• Hardback

Format