Carrera Subway 8 Review

davidcshaw55's review of Carrera Subway 8

“I bought the bike from Halfords in April this year and...”

Written on: 12/12/2008 by davidcshaw55 (1 review written)

Shimano hub gears and disk brakes, sturdy and well-built without being overheavy - and actually quite stylish, witha good colour scheme.

None that I've discovered so far. I personally found the supplied saddle a little uncomfortable, but have solved that with a gel cover.

General Comments
I bought the bike from Halfords in April this year and at the date of writing (mid-December) have used it constantly for commuting to work daily (from the Isle of Dogs to the City) and for leisure rides at the weekend, for an average of about 100 miles a week.

The Shimano internal hub gears are excellent, and I find that I don't need any different gearings (albeit a relativele flat route to work). When you add the disc brakes and the fact it comes with mudguards, then starting value for money is excellent in my view. Other than one puncture (dealt with promtly and efficeintly by Halfords), I have had absolutely no problems with the bike - need to fine tune the adjustment on the gears every four weeks or so to ensure no "slipping".

This is never going to be the fastest thing on two wheels, but nor is it a sluggard, and I did do the Bikeathon in the summer with relatively little pain! I haven't had it long enough to see what long-term durability/reliability is going to be like, but based on my experience to date I would certainly buy another to replace it in the future.