The Lemon Tree, Colchester Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Guest's review of The Lemon Tree, Colchester

“Very recently had a large group booking at The Lemon...”

Written on: 09/11/2008

Seating Arrangement and Music

Service, food quality, general cleanliness, atmosphere and attitudes.

General Comments
Very recently had a large group booking at The Lemon Tree which all looked great when we arrived but sadly I feel they could not have got it more wrong. When we arrived the seating position in the restaurant was excellent and the music was low and helped to set a good opening scene. Sadly that was the only thing the Lemon Tree got right throughout the evening as it all went very pear shaped from that point on. Our food came out in instalments (my pet hate when eating out!) some of the starters were not what my friends had ordered causing a delay in us all eating. I thought the quality of food was pretty poor I would have to say! We had a hard job between us all deciding what was a hot and what was a cold starter to be honest and in the end we had to laugh - crying was just not an option!. Like another reviewers comments we also found some of the forks to look dirty and we notified the staff who did change this - however we feel it should not have happened though especially given the prices and marketing claims this venue promotes from its website which is how we initially decided to go there. So what what was the lesson learnt? Don't believe all you read on the web basically - apart from these reviews of course! The main courses were decidedly average and we all commented and agreed that this place seems to lack one major ingredient - atmosphere - we thought it was cold, boring and dull in its decoration and the colchester wall thing is great if you're a historian but all a bit twee for us! Overall we found this meal to be of less than average standard, extremely pricey and overrated compared to its online claims of top qualified chefs. Times are hard Lemon Tree - in my opinion you really have to produce something much better than this!

• British

Food Type

• Once or twice a year

How often do you eat here?

• Romantic/Couples