Hugh Harris, Surrey Review

pdowling's review of Hugh Harris, Surrey

“I'm not surprised by the mixed reviews of Hugh Harris...”

Written on: 03/10/2008 by pdowling (3 reviews written)

1) Hard working staff
2) Good quality outfits

1) I found the pricing unclear
2) One suit damaged and one suit was the wrong size - had to return both to the shop to swap (which they did very promptly)
3) Order was not taken down correctly. I was as much at fault for not checking the order slips properly but it did happen twice. Most of the mistakes were fixed when I pointed them out two weeks before the wedding but I still had one usher in black trousers rather than stripes!

General Comments
I'm not surprised by the mixed reviews of Hugh Harris on this site as I had a different experience every time I visited. I think it depended a lot on who was working that day and, inevitably, how busy they were. I wouldn't have minded but I went to HH because I had heard mixed things about the big high street chains and was willing to pay more (about 50% more in the case of HH) for a better service and better quality outfits. In the end I didn't feel that I got value for money.

I was a bit irritated to learn that on a very busy Saturday they were short-staffed because one of the senior salesmen was at a celebrity wedding making sure everything there was ok. I had made an appointment and was kept waiting as a result. It wouldn't have been so annoying if he hadn't come back to the shop telling us all about it. I did not find it very impressive to learn that I had been kept waiting because a celebrity comes first.

Hugh Harris's Response to pdowling's Review

Written on: 31/10/2008

I run Hugh Harris and do welcome comments good or bad. I would like to add 'meat to the bones' so to speak regards the comments made. Firstly we do not and never have operated an appointment situation on Saturdays given that we have an open door policy. What we do do is log peoples calls to try and control what are always very busy days. In addition we are, as any company is, affected by unknowns such as staff illness. Secondly I was due back from the 'celebrity' wedding by 12pm. I stayed on with the wedding to sort out ill fitting garments caused by other companies who sized up the majority of the wedding party given that the gentlemen in question could not visit us personally. I stayed to change leg lengths, waistcoat sizes etc to ensure a better look. THIS WE WOULD DO FOR ANY WEDDING.