Ed Macy, Apache Review

traxius's review of Ed Macy, Apache

“I have been waiting for Ed Macy's Apache with...”

Written on: 12/09/2008 by traxius (1 review written)

General Comments
I have been waiting for Ed Macy's Apache with anticipation ever since I first heard about the Jugroom Fort rescue. The courage, determination and sheer eccentric 'Britishness' of the mission could not have been conceived by the most talented of fictional writers. Here was a tale of war that could lift the country. Not a tale of gung-ho bloodshed and reactive heroics but of camaraderie, hope and a not inconsiderable dose of valour. When I first saw on the Internet that one of the pilots was writing a book of the events I was not surprised. I fully expected to see a firsthand blow by blow account of the mission taking us from the opening salvos right through to its dramatic conclusion. What I found was so much more.

Despite the fact that the Apache pilots are so obviously of such a high calibre, fully deserving of their elite status, there is no feeling of elitism or arrogance in the book. Ed Macy provides an honest warts and all appraisal of himself and his comrades, not afraid to recognise weaknesses or errors, and not afraid to be honest regarding their capabilities, objectives and feelings. With an easy and comfortable style the author makes you feel like a part of the team. McNab, in his comment on the book's cover said Apache 'puts you right in the cockpit... ' I beg to differ. I felt I was tucked up in his flight suit with him! The technical aspects and visualisations of the Apache are explained in such ways that the admiration and passion the author obviously feels for the machine are infectious to say the least, and when the book moves into the action scenes his writing style has your heart beating loud in your chest as you ride the couch into battle!

The book is at times humorous, at others desperately tense. It moves from stand up and cheer moments to touching sadness. His tributes to Mathew Ford are poignant and so obviously heartfelt..

This is truly an outstanding debut from a man who can now comfortably and justifiably add 'author' to his list of considerable talents. I would encourage everyone to read this book, breathe, then read it again.

• Hardback

Format

417615_Samstheman912542's Response to traxius's Review

Written on: 14/11/2008

I agree with this review because... i have just finished reading this book and can truly say it gripped me more then most books ever have. I found it hard to put the book down and also found myself taking the book into work so that i could read it on my break. I also found it was hard to put the book down to go for a fag so i smoked less on my breaks at work.