Honda ST1100 Review

• Build quality

• Reliability

hingysaid's review of Honda ST1100

“I bought my 2001 ABS/TCS/CBS ST1100 a couple of years...”

Written on: 22/08/2008 by hingysaid (8 reviews written)

Reliabilty, finish quality, build quality, good MPG for size and weight of the bike.

You'll never raise the bike upright on your own should you drop it.

General Comments
I bought my 2001 ABS/TCS/CBS ST1100 a couple of years ago - it spent its life as a police covert traffic motorcycle, and as you would expect has been serviced correctly, and has been run 8+ hours per day, everyday. This fact would normally concern me, but not with this bike......All the emergency services across the world have used this bike for the best part of a decade, and some still do, even though it was discontinued by Honda back in 2002.... That ' s says a lot.
The ST1100's engine is supreme, and is as smooth as velvet... no vibrations even at 100mph+, and no jerking or diving when you roll off the throttle.... you can get power form more or less any gear at any speed.... and the bike has so much torque into the bargain. The bike has 4000 mile oil / filters service intervals, which is fine... as the bikes been built with easy access in mind, and has access panels, and easily removal fairings for nearly every part - so you can DIY.
I have found the standard windscreen to be the only problem, as it directs the air stream directly into your visor, and from 80 mph onwards the wind noise is excessive and the wind buffeting unbearable.... I added a +4" in height screen, which has a slightly wider setup also, and problem solved ( £70)......
I've traveled through France with a friend recently, and covered 700 miles in a day..... My friend was riding a VFR, and at the end said it was too much, due to aches and pains.... I could have done the same again.... the ST1100 is like a 100 mph + arm chair, and will give any of your modern day sports bikes a run for their money, around twisties, due to its low centre of balance and smooth power delivery... all whilst in total comfort.
I can't rate this bike highly enough, and I compare this to other bikes I ' ve own like a ZZR and Varadero.... both great bikes in their own rights, but not a patch on the ST1100.
I've also ridden the ST1300 model, and indeed it is a great bike, but I ' m still drawn to the ST1100, for its simplistic greatness and old school carbed heritage.
A truly great bike.

• Build quality

• Reliability

Hodders's Response to hingysaid's Review

Written on: 08/09/2008

Could you let us know what screen you bought please as I am in the same position with a standard height screen and facing a wide choice of replacements.
<br/>
<br/>David

Hingysaid's Response to hingysaid's Review

Written on: 15/04/2009

http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/st1100_windscreens.html .........<br/><br/>I bought the screen from the link shown. Quick delivery, and a good quality product......<br/><br/>hingysaid