Twycross Zoo, Atherstone Twycross Zoo Review

MazY's review of Twycross Zoo, Atherstone Twycross Zoo

“I'm writing as a photographer first and foremost, so...”

Written on: 20/06/2008 by MazY (1 review written)

- Spacious layout
- Plenty of free car-parking
- Good selection of primates
- Helpful and friendly staff
- Reasonably priced admission considering you can spend an entire day there

Looks really very scruffy in parts
Not great for photographers
Expensive cafe
More signs needed

General Comments
I'm writing as a photographer first and foremost, so much of what I write must be related to that fact.

Parking was a pleasure and there was plenty of space, with attendants guiding us to the available spots. Many of the animals are behind glass and so if its a sunny day, as it was when I went, taking photos is not going to be without problems.

While there were some creatures behind chain-link fencing, which you can stick your lens through to get 'that shot', there were some birds that were behind 'chicken-wire' which makes for some very ugly shots indeed.

I was particularly disappointed with the elephant enclosure. They were out in the open and yet there were bars all the way around, meaning there is no way to get a photo without a bar running all the way across your subject matter. (You could take a step-ladder which might help a little.)

In terms of photography, the birds sections are best, particularly where the flamingos, storks, and such like are housed. There are plenty of good angles and the birds seem to be very used to it so don't run off the second that you approach.

If you're thinking of getting great shots of the leopards and lions, forget it. They are both behind glass, and I have to say, it wasn't very clean glass either.

Generally, you have to work quite hard to get good photos at Twycross, as there are several sections that look run-down (possibly in the process of renovation), and you end up shooting photos against breeze-block walls and such-like.

If I weren't a photographer, I'd love the place and would visit often. As a photographer, I have to say that there are far better zoos.

That said, I did enjoy my day and it was certainly value for money.

• 06/2008

Date of visit (month/year)

• All ages