Alliance & Leicester Credit Card Review

• Customer service

Reefboy's review of Alliance & Leicester Credit Card

☆☆☆☆☆

“I have been with A&L now for a number of years, never...”

Written on: 19/05/2008 by Reefboy (1 review written)

None

General Comments
I have been with A&L now for a number of years, never over impressed with their service (on average wait about 40 minutes anytime of day or night to get through)! But I guess I was just too lazy to look around! Also used to have my current banking with them up to about four years ago and changed for the same reason, communication. In April 06 I thought about changing my visa account and spoke with a A&L Cust Service Agent. I was paying 22.5% apr and thought it too high. I was offered a rate of 14.5% apr there and then with no mention of a timescale on the deal.This offer would cost me £25.00, as I was at work, busy I took the deal. Since then I carried on using and paying my card monthly, on some occasions only paying the minimum. Recently though as I have some spare cash, I have been paying large chunks off to try and kill the debt but noticed it was not going down as quick as I thought it should. Again I tried to speak with A&L on no less then 12 different occasions but failed as I terminated the call due to holding for more than one hour each time. I finally managed to get through a few weeks ago (25 Apr) and discussed my account. To my horror I found I was now paying 35.9%!!!APR I queried this with Customer Services, who were very sympathetic after accusing me of lying, as the agent said the deal I claimed to have been put on was not real and then he found the agreement on my record. I was informed that the deal finished in Nov 06 and my APR had been going up in 6 monthly steps since then. When I challenged him on the duration of the deal he could only apologise. He then put me through to an incompetent lady in the 'percentage rate office' (I do not use the description lightly). After twenty minutes of going round in circles with this lady, I was handed to the Recovery department but as I was not struggling or behind with my payments they could not help and so I was put back through to Customer Services. After a two hour call I terminated the conversation and contacted the Financial O'man who have sent A&L a letter on my behalf. Has anyone else had a similar experience and did you manage to agree a amicable result?

• 1 year and over

Used card for