Minolta Dimage 5 Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

Charles G.'s review of Minolta Dimage 5

“Without doubt the finest camera I have owned in 30...”

Written on: 04/11/2001 by Charles G. (1 review written)

Superb lens, extraordinary depth of field
Control and ease of operation, considering the complexity of features

Electronic view finder resolution and contrast range are a bit low.

General Comments
Without doubt the finest camera I have owned in 30 years of fairly dedicated SLR usage. Enough manual control to keep even a dyed-in-the-wool fiddler like me happy, and capabilities in auto mode that make manual control (almost) redundant.

Minolta have clearly thought VERY hard about this design and the results show it. Flash control is excellent, autofocus is seldom fooled, exposure is high reliable.

In the 3 weeks since buying I have used it indoors, outdoors in the UK and outdoors in the desert. The results are nearly always flawless.

• Image Quality

10773_Travis.'s Response to 5497_Charles G.'s Review

Written on: 27/01/2002

I love my dimage 5, a bit pricey but you get more than your money's worth....I haven't put mine down since I bought it....

36463_David.'s Response to 5497_Charles G.'s Review

Written on: 05/09/2002

I have had my DiMAGE 5 since May 2002, first results disappointing, many out of focus, returned to Minolta UK for checking, (very impressed, returned within 10 days). Now working very well, auto focus is a little slow compared to my old Nikon SLR, but accepable. I find that it is better to override the program to increase aperture, giving better depth of field and sharpness, but on the whole very impressed now the focus system has been fixed