Musical Fidelity A3 Review

• Sound Quality

Phillip Evans's review of Musical Fidelity A3

“The Musical Fidelity A3 CD is a good value for money...”

Written on: 05/12/2003 by Phillip Evans (1 review written)

Good build quality, durability, consistency across the sound spectrum

I have found the treble to be strident.
I used a quad 99/909, 989 speakers, van de hul The first connection and 13amp power cable to the speakers (try it, it's fantastic)

General Comments
The Musical Fidelity A3 CD is a good value for money cd player and though I enjoy the music I do wonder if I could achieve a less bright treble.

Clayton's Response to Phillip Evans's Review

Written on: 15/12/2003

I too have a MF A3 hooked up to a Quad 99 system but using the 99 power amp not the 909. Connection is via QED silver spiral. Speakers are ancient Castle Conways (3 way front ported design). My original CD player was an equally ancient Marantz but my new Quad setup really opened up the sound. However I also experienced that same treble brightness with the Marantz. With it owing me nothing I auditoned at my local Hi Fi dealer several replacement CD players, eventually settling on the A3. Brightness was tamed, sound was phenomenal and I have been a convert ever since. Perhaps the Quad speakers are the "culprit" and maybe the A3 benefits from speakers with less detailed reproduction at the top end.