Punta Cana, Melia Caribe Tropical Review

Marilyn's review of Punta Cana, Melia Caribe Tropical

“I had read several bad reviews before traveling so I...”

Written on: 28/10/2003 by Marilyn (1 review written)

Beautiful resort, very good food, friendly staff

General Comments
I had read several bad reviews before traveling so I was a bit nervous. We returned from the

Melia on October 6th, and I've been dreaming about returning ever since. What a fabulous vacation! I'm a travel agent, and I've done quite a bit of the Caribbean, and had never given the Dominican Republic a thought. We had requested a nice

room to celebrate our anniversary in, and were given a villa in section 36. Perfect location, facing the large pool and a short walk to the Turey Grill and the beach.

The pools were fabulous, and the beach incredible. We enjoyed La Gondola (incredible buffet lunch, but disappointing food and atmosphere for dinner) the Capri (good food, uneven service), Ma Maison (good food and service, but suffers by not having enough tables for 2, so the wait can be long), Le Gourmet (my favorite), the international buffet breakfast (perfect!), the Mexican buffet (really good), the

Spanish buffet (somewhat disappointing) and the Turrey Grill for lunch (good variety). It was just too much trouble to get up and go to the lobby to try to reserve for Japanese. October is one of the slower months at the resort, and I did get the impression that if it had been really crowded, service would suffer.

My husband did get very ill on the last day and had a tough plane ride home. But, we ate carefully and are chalking it up to his often weak stomach. We did notice that the bottled water was "bottled directly at the spring in the Dominican Republic, so that made us a little leery of the bottled water they pass out so freely at the hotel. All in all, we had a truly wonderful time, and can't wait to return in the spring with our teenagers.