Ford Ka 1.3 Luxury Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

mossley68's review of Ford Ka 1.3 Luxury

“I recently bought a nearly new Luxury Ka as my other...”

written by mossley68 on 22/12/2007

Nippy about town, Surprisingly refined ride, cheeky, distinctive design and great value for money

small boot, interior plastics could look better, engine sometimes lacks oomph

General Comments
I recently bought a nearly new Luxury Ka as my other car had decided to give up the ghost. I have always bought and driven second hand mid sized saloons and hatchbacks, as i wanted a little bit of luxury for less money.

I went for the KA simply because I wanted a car with a guarantee still in place and one that I could afford, I was not smitten with the idea of having such a small car and didn't drive it home with much enthusiasm, but how wrong I was! For a small car, it's such a smooth ride, it absorbs bumps on the road extremely well and it's fantastic around town and much easier to park than any of my previous cars. It's nippy too, in lower gears, I can certainly pull away from lights and junctions quicker than a lot of cars, but of course, it doesn't compete too well once on the motorway. Nevertheless it still zips along very nicely at 70mph, and 80mph for that matter.

It's economical too, and the steering is firm and responsive, with the luxury model, I got the added bonus of air con, alloys and leather seats, which does give it a more luxurious feel. The 'quick clear' windscreen is excellent too for those cold winter mornings, I just sit in the car and watch the frost melt, chuckling at the neighbours miserably scraping the ice of theirs.

I have to say, that in a very short space of time I've come to love my KA, it's fun to drive, it makes me smile when I see it in the morning and the styling whether you love or loathe it, is still as distinctive today, as it was when it was launched so many moons ago.

On the minus side, the plastics could be a little softer in the cabin, I think the wing mirrors look a bit puny and I find the instrument panel a little too dim when driving at night, but these really are minor niggles. The boot too, is tiny compared to my other cars, but I knew this when I bought it.

So, all in all I am a convertee. It is a car with 'personality' and the ride is very smooth and mature for such a dinky car. It's the first Ford I've bought, and I have to say I'm impressed.

• 2006