Thomson Cruises, The Calypso Review

3.7
  • Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

MaryBantick's review of Thomson Cruises, The Calypso

“This was my first ever cruise and I chose the Calypso...”

written by MaryBantick on 08/11/2007

Excellent, polite and attentive staff, very good food in the Orchid Restaurant and also good food in the buffet. This is an adults only ship which was great.

My only criticism was that this was the last cruise of the year so the shops and the outside bar ran out of various things during the week, but every time we appeared the bar staff rushed to one of the other bars to fetch our drinks even before we had ordered them.

General Comments
This was my first ever cruise and I chose the Calypso partly because of the interesting itinerary and partly because it was adults only. I was very impressed with everything, it was absolutely brilliant. On this cruise there was one day at sea then we moored every day at a different interesting port where there was lots to see and do and you were not stuck with just wandering around shops. We only went on one of the organised excursions, the trip to Lindos in Rhodes, which was very good, the guide was interesting and informative and there was enough time to see everything you wanted. Apart from that we did our own thing and got the bus, metro or taxis to Athens, Knossos and Ephesus. Speaking to others who did the organised trips they were impressed with them all.
Our cabin was not huge, it was a superior outside plus, but was an adequate size. The only problem was we had to unpack in relays. What I did like was the light, usually hotel rooms are so dim you can barely read a book, but this cabin had several different lights so you could have it as light or dark as you liked. Also the heating was excellent and went from warm to cool in about a minute when you adjusted it, so the cabin was always at a comfortable temperature.
The food was superb, we ate in the Orchid dining room every evening, where there was a five course menu with lots of choice. We had breakfast and lunch or tea in the buffet and again found the food to be very good, lots of variety and well cooked. It seemed you could spend all day eating if you wanted and judging by the size of some of the passengers I think they did!
We did not go to any of the evening entertainment as we preferred to sit in the outside bar after dinner and watch the sea, but we saw some of the entertainers during the week and I was impressed with their singing and dancing skills. I was pleased that smoking was only allowed on certain areas of the outside decks and also the drinks were very reasonably priced, cheaper than our pub at home.
The best part of the ship was the staff, they were just wonderful They were mostly from overseas and they could not be helpful enough, they fell over backwards to assist in any way.

• October 2007

Date of Cruise