PC World Review

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

iceland2007's review of PC World

“I work for PC world. The question you, as a customer...”

Written on: 19/08/2007 by iceland2007 (4 reviews written)

Knowledge of Tech Guys (Trained technicians - Grey Shirts)

General Comments
I work for PC world. The question you, as a customer need to ask yourself is: Do you want more staff, so you can be served, or do you want a few, knowledgeable people. I appreciate, having a computer whizz to talk to as soon as you walk in is very handy, but most staff receive zero training as far as knowledge of products go.

I have worked on the customer service desk and the customer's who achieve the best resolution are the ones who 1) KEEP THE RECEIPT! 2) Understand that the member of staff did not write the rules of refunds and sales (we do have strict policies from the manufacturer as to what we can and can't return). 3) If you have a problem or feel you are not getting served in a standard you would like, go straight to the manager. Don't mess around.

I personally couldn't care about refunding a product, it's not in my interest to stop you from having your money back, but we do get a good telling off should a product be returned which shouldn't have been. Bottom line for refunds, keep your receipt and the box, don't be unreasonable in thinking this is a difficult thing to do.

If you reserve an item for Collect at store, before you go, just ring up to confirm it is in. It isn't hard to do and most stores now operate a system where they call to confirm the item has been picked for collection, or is out of stock. Giving false phone numbers will not help your cause, should the item be out of stock as we can't contact you.

If you think PC world is rubbish, that is fine, but generally if you have a problem with your laptop and you find a good store with great technicians, it will be effortless to solve your issues. Supplying as much information as possible will also help in getting the best answer. This is just my opinion.

• n/a

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Degbert's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 20/08/2007

I agree with this review because...it paints the retail experience at PC World very well, and things are rarely the fault or the intention of any of the rank-and-file staff of any shop; training and store policy are beyond control of the average Joe Shop-worker.
<br/>
<br/>It's a really good review for that reason, i.e. it takes an alternative view than the standard bleating, hard-done-by, over-anxious consumer. A good reality check for us all.
<br/>
<br/>Mind you, that doesn't stop me laughing at the PC world adverts, which paint a picture of happy smiley rocket-scientists just floating around waiting to give a quick-fire and lucid answer no matter what the question. Yeah really. But that's no worse than the imagery of Currys or Comet, or anyone else...

384674_Mrpcw's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 21/07/2008

I totally agree with your comment. I work for PC World as well and they returns procedure is really strict, what annoys me is when customers complain that when they buy a machine from PC World it does not work and we have to stand and get shouted at when we did not make the computer. Your complaint about our call centre was rubbish would you rather talk to someone in India or The U.K? Our call centers are in the U.K. If you don't like our customer service then go buy a dell and that will get you some good service. I will admit there is a shortage of staff in many stores, and we can do our job most guys in my store are very knowledgeable. The comment about PC Performance, we have to sell it, if you don't you get a huge telling off. I bet 1/10 of people who made a comment have worked in the sales industry and know how hard it is. If you are not happy with the customer service then I apologize but we have a hard job and customers like yourself do not make it any easier. We are human beings like yourself and have to feed a family and pay the bills and we are very good at what we do.<br/>Thank you very much.

Sideweaver's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 06/05/2008

To be fair he is correct. It applies to all types of stores. If you know what you are talking about and have the receipt then you will be ok. If you do not then it is the same everywhere.

Lopos's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 15/04/2008

I went to PC World (Yeovil branch) today and service I received was awful. The customer service staff misinformed me about the product and pricing then argued they were right (which is never good if you trying to sell something) until I reminded her that I was in the store last week and the price was the same. I agree that the staff at Maplin have far better knowledge about the products they are selling.

Riso's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 25/02/2008

I find your review terrible and here's just my opinion. Saying that the staff get no training is not an excuse. If you are going to work with PC's then make sure you know at least the basics!
<br/>
<br/>You couldn't apply for a job working as a company director without the experiance and qualifications and even then you would be put in to the position slowly to ensure you are able to fulfil the requirment. So why does PC world insist on employing people with no computer knowledge?
<br/>
<br/>I applyed at PC World long before i started working in the corporate IT sector. The person who "interviewed" me left an answer sheet on the table and walked off because she was too busy. I filled in the answers and could easily have copied the sheet. The questions where simple things like, "What does RAM stand for or what is a PSU?"
<br/>
<br/>I have been to PC World many times and asked someone a simple question and each time i get told either incorrect information or they say they will ask someone and disappear.
<br/>
<br/>Staff training is one aspect, but employing staff who actually know what they are doing rather than trying to just sell the most expensive equipment, I would have thought is a requirement.
<br/>
<br/>Also, love the way you try passing the buck on to the customer! What happened to, "the customer is always right?". With all the bad press PC World gets, you still insist its the customers who are wrong and not the company itself.
<br/>
<br/>I have had arguments with staff in PC World, who insist they are correct and get irrate when you tell them they are wrong.
<br/>
<br/>If you ask me, Maplin are far more experienced in all techincal fields and seem to employ people who actually have an understanding of the things they are trying to sell and support.

Iceland2007's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 14/09/2007

Most people are aware internet prices are far cheaper and there is a huge variety of choice. It still baffles me how many people do still come into store. I often offer impartial advise, making sure the customer either goes away with the correct goods, or i refer them to online websites which i have used and find will suit their needs better. In my opinion, my job is to give advice and if that means discussing alternative sources for buying goods, so be it.

Iceland2007's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 14/09/2007

Very often the number given for 'PC world' puts you through to a central helpdesk who usually are not very helpful. On the times i've phoned them through store, often it is hard to get the answer you really need. Store to store customer service is different... like i said, just my opinion.

Mttaranaki's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 14/09/2007

I disagree with this review because... this does not account for the delays in delivery or the poor communication. If it's so easy to pick up the phone and call PC World to see if an order is in, should it not be easy for PC World to pick up the phone and ask a customer if their problem has been resolved? Common courtesy would say that the company should follow up on customer problems, not leave it to the customer.

Max Cady's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 28/08/2007

Poorly run store with not enough staff to meet customers demands, how often do you see people standing around waiting to been seen to?, when you ask someone for help the response is that their serving someone and will get back to you only to go wandering off somewhere else!, Their software prices have lost touch with the real world and the tech help area normally has a queue a mile long, I still go there but normally end up buying elsewhere.

Degbert's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 28/08/2007

I worry that our faith in human nature and ability to remain objective is being seriously undermined here if an employee of a firm cannot be trusted to offer an impartial view, just because they work there. Conversely I think its quite brave for the reviewer to make their employ public knowledge.
<br/>
<br/>I think what the reviewer was basically stating is that - especially for faulty goods (remember PC's are a bit trickier for the man on the street than a broken bike chain) - if you take the time to give as much info about cause and condition of the problem, the PC World tech staff are as good as anywhere. That is, the one or two trained technicians are actually good at their job.
<br/>
<br/>The reviewer appears to concede that there are problems and the general staff training is poor (and not as widespread as it needs to be), i.e. is saying things we all probably believe.
<br/>
<br/>But standing idly by while someone is castigated purely for being an employee of a company seems a little out of whack. I think their view has to be entertained and accepted. Remember it is inevitably a company's management team, recruitment and training policy and investment, pay structure, morale schemes and overall working environment that affect how well their staff come across in dealing with client's problems. Given this is mass-market, high-volume retail, I think its useful to hear from someone who has to endure this day to day and can offer their view of the company for which they work.

Blanchardfamily2001's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 24/08/2007

How can someone who works at PC World review the store? It is a bit like saying Manchester United are appalling, for one of its players to come along and say "oh no it is not".

Bjfkdf's Response to iceland2007's Review

Written on: 20/08/2007

This person is not independent as I was when I walked into the store to buy something. The after sales is terrible.